PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
What are the pros and cons of different size draught holes? People seem to to have their preferences.

I'm guessing a narrow hole means sucking harder and the greater rush of air has something to do with the combustion of the tobacco.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
What are the pros and cons of different size draught holes? People seem to to have their preferences.

I'm guessing a narrow hole means sucking harder and the greater rush of air has something to do with the combustion of the tobacco.
It really comes down to personal preference.
There are lots of members who prefer more open draws - there is huge love of cobs, and praise heaped on the openness of Castellos. Indeed there are those who drill out shanks to achieve that goal.

I happen to have a liking of old Britwoods.
And have run limited trials comparing the same blend smoked back-to-back in old Britwoods and pipes with more open draws
In the majority of cases my preference is for the pipes with a tighter draw.
The flavours seem more focused and complex in my opinion.
Just my 2 cents.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
From my experience there’s no real pros or cons. It’s just a matter of personal preference. My pile of pipes includes both classic Britwood and modern artisan made pipes. It all works.
I’m not of the school that traditional pipe makers didn’t know what they were doing and needed to be corrected. Also, it’s bullshit. So is the idea that all the old makers used a standard narrow draught. Charatan drilled at 4mm for their straights and 4.7 for their vents, this from Ken Barnes, who trained at Charatan before cofounding James Upshall. The widest draught in my collection belongs to a large 1906 French carved Barling at an estimated 6 to 7 mm draught. It smokes wonderfully but is more difficult to clean since I need to twist together a couple of thick pipe cleaners to clean it. It’s a lot more work.
I like the feel of modern open draw pipes, but they can be a little bit of a problem when smoking very fine cuts as the tobacco can, and does, get sucked down the airway and into your mouth.
Overall, my experience is that it all works just fine. Any deficiencies are more a matter of operator error than equipment.