PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Our featured interview on The Pipes Magazine Radio Show tonight is with Dr. Charles “Matt” Watson. Matt holds a Ph.D in Quantitative Biology, an M.S. in Biology, and a B.S. in Wildlife Science with a minor in Forestry. He is an Associate Professor at Texas A&M University-San Antonio. In our opening Pipe Parts segment, Brian will offer advice on what to look for when buying old / estate tins of tobacco to tell if the seal has been compromised.

The show airs every Tuesday at 8:00pm eastern US time, and can be found at PipesMagazine.com and all podcast apps.

Charles-Matt-Watson.jpg

PuffingWalrus

Lurker
Jul 31, 2022
Brattleboro VT
This was an amazing episode. Just loved how science heavy it was. I learned quite a few knew things about the biology and biological defences of tobacco plants that I did not know.

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
Hey Brian,
Another good show, nice interview with Dr Watson. Although achieving a PhD is certainly not elementary! Interesting to learn how the tobacco plant reacts to different things affecting it, caterpillars eating the leaf, versus punching a hole in the leaf. Very interesting.
Never heard of the artist in the music slot, but quite enjoyed it, kind of had an 80's vibe to it.
In reply to your request for guests, how about having Mike McNeil back on? I know he's been interviewed many times before. But perhaps he could talk more about the tobacco industry as a whole, not necessarily McClelland's.
Thanks for the show.
Cliff - Honkytonk Man.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Brian, thanks for another informative and enjoyable show. The diversity of people who enjoy our hobby never fails to impress me.

Great choice of music. I saw Billy way back when he was touring in support of that album. A great show from a mostly under rated band.

I was happy that you noted the subtle complexity of the music. The days when a tune you might hear on the radio would modulate keys, change dynamics, feature an actual melody and have harmonic interplay seem to be mostly gone.

Rock on,
Renfield