PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
My daughter’s boyfriend found this neat little Dr. Plumb bulldog at a New Orleans shop and sent it to me for restoration. I thought Dr. Plumb had a connection to GBD and I believe they are now owned by the Cadogan group. The stem was in terrific shape, save for a heavy coat of oxidation. The top of the bowl was scorched and it had some dents and scratches.

Before:

I reamed the bowl with both my Castleford and Senor reamers. Someone it the pipes past had reamed it a little out of round, but it wasn’t too bad. I removed some of the dents with a knife heated by a flame and a wet towel. Most of the major ones popped back out nicely. The bowl has some fills, but they are hidden well by the factory finish. In order to remove the scorched top, it would have required a restain. I was afraid with the numerous fills, it would look better with the factory finish. “Character” as they say. I buffed the bowl with some Tripoli, White diamond and with a final buff using Carnuba. The stamping is very legible

The stem was soaked in an Oxyclean solution overnight to soften the brown coating. Unfortunately, the stem logo proved very problematic. I could not get the oxidation off this part of the stem without removing the logo. The owner opted for me to leave the logo and brown patch.

Here is the finished product.

The pipe sure looks like it would be a good smoking piece and I hope the young man enjoys it for many years.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Very nice indeed. If anyone ever finds a solution to get the brown oxidation of the stem without ruining the logos, they'd have a market niche ;-) I've had the same problem on some other pipes and always decided to leave the logo intact as well.
Good looking pipe :clap:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Les: It is stamped 58410, London England and "London Made" under the Dr. Plumb stamp.
I found this one, same stamp number. I'd say the boy did well!

http://www.gentlemenscorner.co.nz/webapps/p/79316/153199/401203
From the gunk I pulled out of the shank, I think a New Orleans Voodoo queen must have smoked some evil aromatics in the pipe....

tumblr_m5akr6L1P21qgnvbdo4_500.jpg

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
You couldn't fix the logo with some white nail polish? Fill in, wipe off, let dry?
Is the logo not stamped into the stem?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
You couldn't fix the logo with some white nail polish? Fill in, wipe off, let dry?
Is the logo not stamped into the stem?
Unfortunately the logo was just painted on, no embossed stamp. I would preferred just removing it, but left it up to the owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.