PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jbrewer2002

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
I have been shaving with a DE razor for 10-15 years now and have been looking into getting something new. I did quite a bit of research and a lot of people swear by the Gillette Slim and Fatboy. Since these have not been made in a long time the only option is to find a vintage one. Sure there is eBay and there are a lot on there as low as $20 but there usually in poor visual condition and the mechanics are unknown. I have read about a lot of people buying these just to find out they are in bad mechanical condition. So I passed on that. There is a site out there called Razor Emporium and they sell ones that they buy, clean up, and confirm the mechanics. These are around the $140-$190 price range. So I passed on that for now. Today we were at an antique store and found this Slim for $25. It needed cleaned and a good polish but I’m pretty happy with this find.
First 3 pictures are the after cleaning. IMG_2594.jpegIMG_2593.jpegIMG_2592.jpegIMG_2583.jpegIMG_2585.jpeg

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I don't care for shaving a whole lot so once or twice a week I break out the many bladed monstrosity that I have and give it a go. Don't even bother with shaving cream.

Bbailey324

Lifer
Jun 29, 2023
Austin, TX
I've been using a Merkur 34 something, C I think, for 25 years or so. I've tried several other DE razors and haven't found anything better. I am interested to try a vintage Gillette if I happen across one at the right price.

Reactions: Jbrewer2002