PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ukparagolfer

Lurker
May 1, 2018
UK
Hi everyone.

So it looks like after I finish a bowl I'm getting far too much dottle in the bottom of the bowl. It's about the same amount as my 1st later when I pack.

Anyone got any suggestions on how to get the most out my bowl?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
three step packing. Or basically first third of the bowl only push down the loss strands don't pack them. In fact just tap the heel of the pipe. Don't really pack the pipe tobacco down until the last third of the chamber. Also dry out the tobacco more. Seriously if you do those two things when you dump the dottle you'll feel confused and like something mystical has happened because of how little dottle there is. In fact I still sometimes scratch my head at how miniscule the dottle dump is.

ukparagolfer

Lurker
May 1, 2018
UK
three step packing. Or basically first third of the bowl only push down the loss strands don't pack them. In fact just tap the heel of the pipe. Don't really pack the pipe tobacco down until the last third of the chamber. Also dry out the tobacco more. Seriously if you do those two things when you dump the dottle you'll feel confused and like something mystical has happened because of how little dottle there is. In fact I still sometimes scratch my head at how miniscule the dottle dump is.
Yeah I'm smoking some nording Erik's reserve right now so the flake don't seem too moist.
I would need a lot more information. First, what makes you think you're finished, when you say "after I finish a bowl"?
Well I get to the point where everytime I relight I get zero taste and it just keeps going out within seconds. I mean the 1st half hour of smoke is great but anytime after that it seems done

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Yeah I'm smoking some nording Erik's reserve right now so the flake don't seem too moist.

Well I get to the point where everytime I relight I get zero taste and it just keeps going out within seconds. I mean the 1st half hour of smoke is great but anytime after that it seems done
never tried that one. But if you try packing it lighter at the bottom like a lot lighter you'll get way less dottle. Though it's still can be amazing how much moisture it will have. Like clearly same moisture spread into less tobacco if that makes sense.

It could be that the tobaccos is too wet. I hesitate to say that it needs to be dried more, because top say that depends on what type of blend it is. If it is an aromatic, then that is meant to be smoked with more wetness, because all of the flavor was sprayed on. Drying it kills the taste. An English should have come with more dryness to it. But, I find that Virgini9as and Vapors smoke much better dried out fully.

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
Hi everyone.

So it looks like after I finish a bowl I'm getting far too much dottle in the bottom of the bowl. It's about the same amount as my 1st later when I pack.

Don't worry about it. I get it sometimes too in my pipes where the draught hole is slightly higher than the bottom of the bowl...especially cobs.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Depending on the blend, I sometimes gently breakup the ash on top, dump it, tamp the remains, light it, and continue on my merry.

It doesn't always help but it seems to for most flakes.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
How are you prepping that flake? Fold and stuff? Fully rubbed? If you are doing fold and stuff, you might need to dry longer. If fully rubbed, make sure to pinch the tobacco to check it's dry but not falling apart. Pack light, but the idea is making sure there's plenty of air space at the bottom of the chamber.

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area

This sounds like it could be a tamping issue too. It could easily be because of tamping too tight if the draw also gets restricted. In that case, I would try packing and tamping lightly just use the weight of the tamp and don't do it too often.

It could be because of not tamping enough if the draw hasn't changed, and it's going out, in that case, I would tamp some more, lightly with just the weight of the tamp.

I found that once I nailed down light packing most of my issues were related to needed a little tamp and the smoke would come back great!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe the best tactic is not to worry about it. Don't focus on dottle. Don't pack too tight; don't tamp too hard; dump some loose ash off the top if it accumulates. Pretty soon you'll get less dottle. Sometimes you'll get none, eventually. Cobs are good about burning up the entire bowl, as a way to reassure yourself. A little dottle is fine. It filters the rest of the bowl.

TimeKiller

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2021
Texas
Hi everyone.

I was having that issue as a new smoker and it really bugged me to throw away unburnt or even just partially charred tobacco. I found the advice to just accept it and throw it away to be unsatisfying, especially when it's from experienced smokers who also often talk about smoking down to a fine white ash.

So I'll give you my 2c as a new smoker.

Of course technique accounts for alot. Packing and tamping properly is very important, but after a while it becomes *almost* intuitive. Similar story with draw and cadence. And again, similar story with exact mechanics of the specific pipe and tobacco your using, as well as the cut and the moisture level. Alot of times people can't really help you much with these things because there are so many variables, and it's a fine balance that you have to get the feel for.

Second thing I would mention is that it's absolutely no problem to relight. Since you often want to keep the pipe at just barely lit, having it go out is absolutely no big deal. It doesn't mean it's done, it's ok to put a little bit more flame to it and wake it back up. It's normal and even expected, unlike maybe a cigar.

Next thing I want to mention is that I notice some cheaper pipes that I own, the draft hole is not very square with the bottom of the bowl and that makes it almost impossible to burn the last bits. A mm or two of offset seems to make a huge difference. I've also noticed that even premium pipes sometimes don't have the hole squared perfectly. As I collect more and more pipes I'm finding that each one has it's own little nuances and character and so far, no two smoke the same.

Finally, I'm going to suggest something that will make the experienced smokers here cringe in horror as blasphemy: don't rule out using a screen... at least for now. Any time I've used a screen I smoke down to ash. Some consider screens to be "training wheels" but, hey, if it works, it works.

But remember I'm a new smoker, so take it with a huge grain of salt. I'm just sharing my own experience because it sounds similar to yours.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
I don't hesitate to throw out an apple's core or the peel off of a banana...dottle is often just necessary waste. I don't have the time or desire or need to fight with 5-10 cents worth of tobacco, whatever blend it might be. If there seems to be a ton of tobacco left, I might dump and re-pack...then again, I might not. ( ...my ethos may be different if I lived in a country with overly restrictive tobacco laws, though)

Drying, if not seemingly over-drying, and deliberate, careful packing will alleviate excessive dottle...for the little bit that remains though, just get rid of it and pack another bowl.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I was having that issue as a new smoker and it really bugged me to throw away unburnt or even just partially charred tobacco. I found the advice to just accept it and throw it away to be unsatisfying, especially when it's from experienced smokers who also often talk about smoking down to a fine white ash.

So I'll give you my 2c as a new smoker.

Of course technique accounts for alot. Packing and tamping properly is very important, but after a while it becomes *almost* intuitive. Similar story with draw and cadence. And again, similar story with exact mechanics of the specific pipe and tobacco your using, as well as the cut and the moisture level. Alot of times people can't really help you much with these things because there are so many variables, and it's a fine balance that you have to get the feel for.

Second thing I would mention is that it's absolutely no problem to relight. Since you often want to keep the pipe at just barely lit, having it go out is absolutely no big deal. It doesn't mean it's done, it's ok to put a little bit more flame to it and wake it back up. It's normal and even expected, unlike maybe a cigar.

Next thing I want to mention is that I notice some cheaper pipes that I own, the draft hole is not very square with the bottom of the bowl and that makes it almost impossible to burn the last bits. A mm or two of offset seems to make a huge difference. I've also noticed that even premium pipes sometimes don't have the hole squared perfectly. As I collect more and more pipes I'm finding that each one has it's own little nuances and character and so far, no two smoke the same.

Finally, I'm going to suggest something that will make the experienced smokers here cringe in horror as blasphemy: don't rule out using a screen... at least for now. Any time I've used a screen I smoke down to ash. Some consider screens to be "training wheels" but, hey, if it works, it works.

But remember I'm a new smoker, so take it with a huge grain of salt. I'm just sharing my own experience because it sounds similar to yours.
nothing wrong with screens. Too fiddly for me. And by the by the majority of people dissing screens have never tried them. I have thought of getting them for the falcon actually.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Are you in a humid climate? I think people in different climates will have different experiences with how far down they can smoke a bowl before it becomes a nuisance. For me where its usually 80-90% humidity, I find trying to smoke down to a fine white ash an exercise in futility, frustration, and a burnt tongue. By the time it gets to the dottle its too wet to smoke, no matter how dry the tobacco was to start with.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Some of the best smokes I've ever had were Dottle, dried for a few days.......... yes, weird, but the flavors were there, and the strength. Don't throw it away............