PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bpinkstaff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 2, 2024
Rockton, il
Question I am flying to North Carolina from Chicago what if any rules are there on flying with my pipes and accessories to include tobacco and lighter? Can i carry on or do they have to be checked?

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Put your tamper in a checked bag to be safe. I have a pipe carry case for 2 pipes and cleaners. I keep my tobacco in a tin and carry my lighter on board. Keep it fueled because they will try to tell you that it is a torch. You will have to show them it is a soft flame. I would expect no trouble.

You know, it is all going to depend on the idiot behind the table. My luck, I always end up with a moron. Even when the sign right behind them says something is allowed, they are just as likely to take the allowed item away.

I lost a tamper I made with 18k gold, from my grandmothers rings, because an idiot behind the table decided that the tamper was a weapon. This was after riding in an ambulance with my daughter to the children's hospital. I had no where else to put the tamper to get in to see my daughter, so the asshole made me put it in that tube thing.

bpinkstaff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 2, 2024
Rockton, il
You know, it is all going to depend on the idiot behind the table. My luck, I always end up with a moron. Even when the sign right behind them says something is allowed, they are just as likely to take the allowed item away.

I lost a tamper I made with 18k gold, from my grandmothers rings, because an idiot behind the table decided that the tamper was a weapon. This was after riding in an ambulance with my daughter to the children's hospital. I had no where else to put the tamper to get in to see my daughter, so the asshole made me put it in that tube thing.
Yeah surplus of idiots!

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
Yes, even though lighters with a “soft” flame are “allowed”, I never take any lighter I care about. I always take just a plain, old Bic…… because on the chance you find a more “robust” confiscater you will not be out anything too valuable.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, even though lighters with a “soft” flame are “allowed”, I never take any lighter I care about. I always take just a plain, old Bic…… because on the chance you find a more “robust” confiscater you will not be out anything too valuable.
Absolutely! I'd take one pipe and a couple of ounces in my carryon, with a golf tee as my tamper. The rest can go in checked luggage, though butane may be illegal. (?)

Reactions: RonB and bpinkstaff

SmokingInTheWind

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2024
New Mexico
A few years ago, I was going through the Pre-TSA line with two pipes, a Bic lighter, and two 4 oz jars of tobacco in my carry on. Got pulled aside after they x-rayed the bag. They swabbed the outside of the jars. They didn't ask what was in the jars. I asked why the swabbing and got no response. I assume checking if it was pot. They swabbed it and let me through.

No problem on the return flight. It all depends on what mood they are in.

ThomasS

Can't Leave
Apr 30, 2024
Bayfield, WI
I just flew to DFW and back with a roll-up pipe kit. Like others said, the only thing they cared was that my lighter was soft-flame rather than torch.

They were more upset by a pound of fudge in a block. That got swabbed and inspected most thoroughly.