Do you use pipe screens. Why or why not?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
I don't use them either. Why? I don't know, I just never saw the need for them.

bostonbill

Lurker
Jul 26, 2010
Bahston
I've bought a couple of pipe screens, and use them in a few pipes. I use them in all my corncob pipes and a couple others, all the pipes that seem to have a problem with tobacco getting sucked into the shank and blocking the draw. It also helps me to create an artificial air pocket at the bottom of my bowls to also better aid smoking. It works well for some troublesome pipes.
Eventually, I hope to have enough trouble-free pipes to not have to use any that I don't enjoy smoking...

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
Screens are for moody cobs or for smoking weed. I hear that if you get pulled over and have a pipe with pipe screens they are required to test for trace amounts of marijuana. Needless to say I used screens back in my wild days but I don't anymore. I hope this helps.

strongirish

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2010
Lake Conroe, TX
No, for one I smoke my pipes all the eay down and have a good cake in my pipes so they won't fit, two, I have never felt the need too and three, it would be another thing to have to hassle with.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I wouldn't want to have my pipe checked by the evil and distrustful and corrupted police just because I use a screen in my pipe...what BS there is in this country.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
I use them infrequently on some of my older Pipes that are getting

a bit thin in the bottom of the bowl. A friend in the UK got me onto

this practice, which I find a bit easier than using load stones.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Screens are needed for pipes like this with big draught holes:
0010.jpg

Except for what Phil suggested they're pretty much useless for briars.

colonelmcmuf

Might Stick Around
Sep 25, 2010
I got into the habit of using a screen in my first pipe. Without it I would end up with a mouth full of ash by the end of it. I've never had another pipe that needed one though.

Status
Not open for further replies.