PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Not sure what yummy mouth feel is. I tend to rotate smoking cigars and a pipe, start the day with a pipe then a cigar, then usually pipe for most of the day then maybe a short cigar and just keep mixing them up, I find that the cigars give me that goos stout smoke, specially the Bolis lately and I taste more of the notes in the pipe tobacco, the contrast between the two really works and is just quite lovely.

Reactions: Rockyrepose

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Give your pipes a thorough cleaning and take a few days off. The flavors will likely be more vibrant when you return.

From time to time I take a few days break, usually unintentionally, but it never hurts to give your palate a break occasionally.

Reactions: JSPiper71

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Give your pipes a thorough cleaning and take a few days off. The flavors will likely be more vibrant when you return.

From time to time I take a few days break, usually unintentionally, but it never hurts to give your palate a break occasionally.
same here and it always blows my mind how the pipes just pop after that. sometimes just trying anew blend does the same thing.

Reactions: JSPiper71

JSPiper71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
I'm back. Last night enjoyed an incredible bowl of 2012 St James Flake. It was glorious. To some of your points, I'm really nitpicky about the tobacco flavour as that's what I'm into pipes for. I've never actually enjoyed a nicotine buzz, so I don't do it for that. I can also drop the pipe or cigar for a long time and never do I feel a bio-chemical addiction to nicotine. I've only been smoking a pipe for 3 years so some of this is new to me. Now that I know Palate Fatigue is a thing, I'll just take a break when things aren't dancing on my tongue. Thanks everyone.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Consider, that if all factors are ok;

clean pipe
dry blends
packing ok
smoking cadence ok
etc etc

Maybe a slight case of Tobacco stomatitis, or smoker's palate, that is throwing off your tastes...

Tobacco stomatitis, or smoker's palate, is inflammation of mucus membranes in your mouth. Supposedly this is common with pipe smoking.

I’m not sure if I actually experienced this, but the roof of my mouth was getting sore, and I haven’t smoked in about a month.