Do I have a right to return pouches of pipe tobbaco to drug store if gone bad?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

steamtrain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 12, 2010
I baught a pouch of Sir Walter Raleigh Pipe Tobbaco from my local newsstand and another pouch from a drug store. The tobbcao was dried out and lost all flavor. Just like beer that has gone skunky from sitting too long but once opened you cant return it what are my rights as a consumer here? I have other sources that say that Sir Walter Raliegh lasts good in the tins but goes bad in the pouches. BTW Brown and Wiliumsson makes Sir Walter Raleigh Pipe Tobbaco.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
When I intend to buy OTC tobaccos I will "fondle" the pouch to determine if it has dried out.

If it crunches, I won't buy it. I also let the person working the counter that I know about pipe tobaccos and expect to purchase a good product.

In my local Publix (where I buy most of my OTC's) the manager knows that I am more knowledgeable about it than he is. He will sometimes ask me to "inspect" his stock for him. It is something that I gladly take a little time and do for him.
As for returning the bad pouch... absolutely! Take that sucker back.

steamtrain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 12, 2010
I just got the "Slice of Apple" will bring it back to life from a co-worker. Does this work

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Like Bubba said; do not use apple slices or any other food type things to re-introduce moisture to a dried out blend. If you want to re-hydrate it, read my article and use one of the methods that I wrote about:
Re-Hydrating Pipe Tobacco
But be warned; if it is an aromatic, the tobacco is probably not going to taste the way that the manufacturer intended it to. But it should still give a decent smoke.

yoru

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2011
Humidifier discs are -awesome-
but if re-hydrating won't work (and if it lost -all- flavour being dry, there's always chance it won't really work) just take it back, even if they can't or won't honor it (I know it is illegal to take back fags, at least in some states, may be all tobacco) this is America, and in America if something sucks you're supposed to get your money back!
You know, in a lot of ways, that last bit didn't make since, I said "even if" and then just made a 'moral' statement with no linked result. ...
Awell, you know what I mean.

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
The pouch of SWR that I purchased a few days ago was dry as a bone as well.
I just moistened a paper towel (wringing out excess water), poured the contents of the pouch onto said paper towel, folded the paper towel over the 'baccy and stuck it back in the pouch.
A few hours later...removed contents from pouch, dumped the re-hydrated 'baccy from paper towel back into pouch and filled a pipe.
As I had never had SWR before, I can't speak to whether it changed the flavor or not, but it seemed to be a decent smoke.

chero

Can't Leave
Dec 25, 2010
i like my tobacco on the dry side, i'll take all you want to give away.

atwageman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 25, 2010
NC
Try to take it back, but be advised some localities have laws on the books that make all tobacco and alcohol sales final. Period. If I get time I will dig up some proof of my statement.

yuri66

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2010
As Lawrence said a good rule of thumb is to use your hands to test the baccy first and also use your nose, if you can smell the baccy all too well from the pouch it may have a busted seal, also if baccy will fall from the pouch it is a good sign the seal is broken, there is nothng wrong with fondeling... the baccy that is :lol:

steamtrain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 12, 2010
I returned the pipe tobbaco to the newsstand...He promtly threw it in the trash and gave me credit for a new pouch...Problem is that in Pennsy State newsstands get there tobbaco from Ciggarette and Candy warehouses and who knows how long it sits in there

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
I know that some tobacco mfg. companies will actually replace product; I had complained to Rock City Tobacco Co. about a package of cigarettes I had purchased that were dryer than dirt via the 1-800 number, and much to my surprise, a week later, I received a carton in the mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.