Do English Blends Like Nightcap Ever Crest the Hill?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Re-arranging some of my pipe stuff to make room for some new arrivals, and I stumbled across 3 tins of Dunhill Nightcap.

I remember reading on her that they tend to lose their punch and flavor after a few years. These tins look to have roughly 10 years of age on them.

Are they in the sweet spot, or have I missed the boat?

20240811_125929.jpg

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
That all depends on how much or how little punch you like your Englishes to have. The general consensus on here (personally, I haven't been cellaring long enough to opine on this, one way or the other) seems to be that latakia loses some of its oomph after a few years, so at roughly the decade mark, it's safe to say you can expect some of that. Some would consider that a problem, others would welcome it, particularly anyone who has experienced latakia burnout and has come out the other side of it intact. Of course, there's no way to gauge precisely how much it has dissipated without cracking and sampling one, and even that's just a window into one particular tin--one of those May '12 tins could be completely different than the other one with the same date! Sure there are general patterns to be found, but overall, tobaccos are very fickle.

On the plus side, if you crack a tin and are disappointed with the results, you've still got two sealed tins (read: a bevy of competitive bidders on Pipestud or Tinbids). Then you can finally snag that Darnell Nurse bobblehead you've been eyeing for the longest time... nnnn :ROFLMAO:

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Yes, all latakia does. But it takes years, some quicker than others. Most recently, my Old Ironsides from the mid 2000s and which has been in a Mason jar for over a decade, has turned. The latakia is very soft now.

Aug 1, 2012
USA
My 2018 nightcap is changed but still really good. It won't be exactly the same but it will likely be a nice blend. Now, if you are one who wants consistency and super punchy lat, you may not enjoy it. If you open one and hate it, I'll be happy to send you something else in exchange for the other 2 tins.
Re-arranging some of my pipe stuff to make room for some new arrivals, and I stumbled across 3 tins of Dunhill Nightcap.

I remember reading on her that they tend to lose their punch and flavor after a few years. These tins look to have roughly 10 years of age on them.

Are they in the sweet spot, or have I missed the boat?

View attachment 329540

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Thinking about it, it's been a while since I've actually had Nightcap fresh. I last smoked a tin that had about 6 years on it, and it was enjoyable. Perhaps the Latakia had faded a little, but it was still very tasty. My next tin will probably be pushing 10 years before I actually open it.

C&D's "From Beyond" was famously inspired by a tin of Nightcap that was well over 20 years old...

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Some perspective for you Mike and well worth a read.
A very good read and perspective.

I'm less worried they've turned to flavorless dust now, thanks for passing that along.

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
I've found basic englishes can get a bit dull with too much age on them. Nightcap has the benefit of pretty good base virginias, orientals and a bit of perique so even if the lat fades it's still a good smoke.

Reactions: kcghost

AroEnglish

Rehabilitant
Jan 7, 2020
PMF Recovery Center
I have a tin of Sillem's Black that has been opened for @3 years.
The aromatic topping has largely dissipated and the Latakia has come to the fore.
It is more of a gentle English blend now, rather than a "smoke bomb"
Thanks for that info, Ray! That's almost exactly what I'm looking for. But with my 13 year one the Latakia has all but gone away. I need to try it again to make sure, though.

Reactions: OzPiper