PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I was watching a documentary on (UK) tv last night and part of it was focused on the Amish/Pennsylvania Dutch folks living in Pennsylvania. Though there was no mention of tobacco growing in the programme there were a few scenes of what looked to me to be fields of tobacco. Are the Amish 'allowed' to grow tobacco? I doubt very much they would be 'allowed' to enjoy the stuff but could of course be wrong.
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Many thanks for the link CE, a fascinating read. Interestingly the programme was about Lancaster County.
One clip from the article made me chuckle...
To make his point, he tells the story of an Amish man who accepted a ride by car into town. The driver was smoking and offered the Amishman a cigarette. The Amishman refused saying, "I figure God didn’t intend for man to smoke. If he had, he would have built him a chimney."
The driver stopped the car and said, "You can get out here. I suppose if God had intended that man should ride, he would have put him on wheels."

Regards,
Jay.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
:rofl:
I got a laugh at that as well. Our local Amish in Kentucky are primarily carpenters and can be contracted for home repair. Their work is top notch, but you definitely pay a premium for their service!

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Interesting link, Captain. It was strange seeing "www." anywhere near the words "Amish news", though! The Amish having some ambiguity regarding the acceptance of tobacco reminds me of the Mormon church and the controversy over whether caffeine is actually forbidden or not. Best I recall, they eventually got that one settled, though.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
I know several Amish Tobacco Farmers. I even helped one pack his tobacco one year. They use a big press box that they load the tobacco into, then crank down on a lever. Makes a nice compressed 50 pound bale. ( Actually I think it was more like 30 pounds but he said 50). Right now all the Amish farms in Lancaster County are harvesting their tobacco crop.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The groups I've conversed with are some of the friendliest people I've met. I have to get one of their hats!

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
My father was born in Lancaster County, PA, and our family was Mennonite, which to most of the rest of the world may as well be Amish. His grandfather raised tobacco in Lancaster his whole life as far as I know. Yer his dad (my grandfather) refused to raise tobacco, because he felt tobacco was a sin. So while the Amish/Mennonite community has always raised tobacco, there have been those who wouldn't for religious reasons. My dad smoked most of his life, but too much of that was cigarettes, and he now has emphysema and no longer smokes. And here I am, posting on a pipe tobacco forum. So i'll confirm kind of first hand - some do, some don't.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I would have guessed that Amish would have forbade all growing and using of tobacco. Thank you for bringing this topic up. I love the fact that if one keeps their eyes and ears open then one can continue to be a life longer learner of new information.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Truth indeed. I used to have a tech instructor who was fond of saying, "You should be able to learn something from even the dumbest MerFer in the room. If not, you may be the dumbest MerFer in the room." I always thought that sentiment was hilarious as well as true.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
One of the many euphemisms for a stronger term featuring an M and an F. (I didn't think quoting it verbatim would necessarily be appropriate here.)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Amish and Mennonites are interesting cultures. I was intrigued in the article (linked by chase) that pipes and cigars have a slightly different status than cigarettes, and there is a sort of unspoken dispensation for older people, mostly men, who smoke pipes and cigars. Apparently both communities have evolved to reap strong prosperity by denying certain modern technologies, and maintaining a much stronger focus on family, community, and an agrarian economy. I don't know how to compare these cultures with the challenge of maintaining values and a life-affirming philosophy on an individual basis outside a separated and restrictive community, but I think that's what most people do. Living in the wider community can be more or less of a challenge, depending on the person, their family, and how they relate to the community and wider world. But these agrarian cultures serve as a touchstone for evaluating how the rest of us are doing.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The FDA has already conducted armed raids on the Amish for selling raw milk, so I won't be surprised if their tobacco growing gets shut down next. Your tax dollars at work.
Raw Milk Raid on Amish Farmer Highlights Stupid FDA Tactics
http://reason.com/blog/2011/05/16/raw-milk-raid-on-amish-farmer

tinsel

Oct 23, 2015
Our local Amish in Kentucky are primarily carpenters and can be contracted for home repair.
In my part of Ky this is also true. They are also known as top notch butchers and meat processors and many people take their livestock to the Amish to be slaughtered and butchered, returning a few days later to pay for and collect the meat. Deer hunters who do not process their own kills also often pay the Amish communities to butcher their kills.
Not sure whether any of the Amish communities around here grow tobacco ... but it wouldn't surprise me.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
In the chapter titled "Tobacco Taster's Menu of Blends" in his book titled "Pipesmoking - A 21st Century Guide" author Richard Carleton Hacker describes a tobacco called Indian Summer as follows:
"In addition to the flavors that they create, the tobaccos in this medium-strength aromatic were selected because they contain the colorful hues of a forest in the early autumn. Various gold-brown-red grades of flue-cured Virginia, Burley and Oriental tobaccos are used, with a resultant fruity, sweet and moist flavor. Although it is definitely American in image (the package even states that the blend is made with some tobaccos that were harvested by the Pennsylvania Amish), it is very popular in Europe, especially in Germany. In fact I bought one of the very first tins of Indian Summer in the Bremen railroad station over over a decade ago. Today it is also available in equally colorful pouches..."

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
P.S. It is not uncommon for Amish men to both drink and smoke. There's lots of stories of drunken Amish passed out in the buggy as the horse automatically runs home.

Status
Not open for further replies.