PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vigil

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
The crazy thing is, I'm agreeing with every comment here, good, and bad. Here's why....
If you know what your looking for online, it's easy. Click the Brand, Click the edition/style/finish, find your pipe.
If you are looking for the "next pipe" and are wanting to see all 1/8th bents, only billiards, etc., regardless of brand, then your outta luck.
Someone, somewhere is going to figure out just how easy (and cheap) it is to index pipes by every possible data point, let you search by any (or multiple) combinations... And, will end up dominating the online market even if they're a couple bucks more expensive. Just because they will become "the resource" for finding pipes.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Maybe I missed the comment, but smoking pipes has a pipe locator function. You can enter in the shape, the price range, materials etc. This will allow you to look through many different pipes without requiring a specific brand to start with.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Different sites do different things well. Cup O Joes indexes its Nording pipes in a useful way. Iwan Ries give the Dunhill Group size approximations

on each pipe. Tobaccopipes.com has the multi-view photos and magnification. SP has the most overall info, individual photos, and weights.

The discrepancies at most sites are annoying, but I know that online retail is why I own too many pipes. When I bought at B&M shops only,

I was much more conservative and had more sales resistance. I was more rational.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
It's really very simple, and I can't understand why the other retailers don't get it. I choose smoking pipes because I want to see - from as many angles as possible - the pipe I buy. Agreed, the Italian websites are very good at this.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
My pipe smoking days begin in 1959, when many communities had a local brick-and-mortar tobacconist. there was no Internet, there were no online sales, your local tobacconist was what you had, and while there were some top-flight shops in various locales, the odds favored your local tobacconist as being a skilled retailer who knew his product and could talk to you intelligently about it. The chances were he didn't sell cigars or cigarettes – he was strictly a pipe and tobacco man. Sometimes he blended his own tobaccos, and at other times he brought in bulk tobaccos from major blenders and put his own name on them. In any case it was usually a good shop and you could count on getting good products and good service and as everyone knew the price points, usually a reasonable price as well.

And then the world changed. Along came the antismoking Nazis, and with the advent of the Internet, online sales began. Brick-and-mortar tobacconists began a slow but steady decline, as indeed did mom-and-pop shops of all descriptions. Today the online sales merchants fill a void that was once occupied by numerous brick-and-mortar tobacconist all over the country. There are very few of the strictly pipe and tobacco related brick-and-mortar shops left. They are, for the most part, of top quality, but even there be prepared to be disappointed. I went into Leavitt and Peirce a few months ago and nobody in the shop was a pipe smoker, and very few of them actually knew anything about pipes and tobacco or could discuss them with you. Many so-called tobacco shops specialize in cigarettes, lighters, and cigars. They have a few pipes, and a few tobaccos, but they have no idea what they have in front of them.

In a situation like this, there are a few alternatives to the online retailer. The good news is that most of them provide excellent service and top quality products at generally reasonable prices. Smoking pipes.com is a shining star in that constellation, providing a paradigm for the rest to emulate. I regularly patronize the retailers who sponsor this forum, and have managed to receive excellent service from home. This is the world we now live: the brick and mortar shops are declining, it's sad but it's true, and online retailing is not the wave of the future --it is the future that has arrived--it is the now in which we live. The good news is that they are entirely responsive to the needs of their customers-- you can talk with them, and you can get excellent merchandise, at reasonable prices, with pretty fast service. No, you won't be able to handle things as you once did in a brick-and-mortar shop, but that's true of retailing in many other areas as well.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I've been making the rounds to all the area tobacco/cigar stores. So far, none have a pipe selection to speak of, and most have little or no tobacco. The nearest Tinderbox (in one of the wealthiest zip codes in the country) has house blends, but many are dried out from low sales volume and ignorant management failing to keep their stock humidified properly. Bulk blends are labeled by name, but no description or even a vague listing of contents. Tinned stock is exceptionally weak, except for Sutliff, which they have a good stock of, at a reasonable price. But it's on a lower shelf, in a dark room, and I have to squat all the way to the floor to read the tins. I bought a tin of Gawith Balkan Flake (they had just one), only to find that the seal had been broken and the contents were completely desicated.
I thought about talking to the manager, but if he is unaware of his failure to succeed in the pipe segment, then I can't help him. He has the same opportunity to turn his store into a Pipes and Cigars or a Smokingpipes.com, and by his actions has chosen not to.
I'll continue my quest for a good pipe shop to other locales, but I wonder if the manager of that Tinderbox cares that he could have had my business, if my visit there had gone differently? No, he's more interested in selling a $200 box of cigars than a $10 tin of tobacco, or a $100 pipe. It's a formula that I have to assume has worked well for him.
The online vendors that I've bought from have all had flawless customer service. Stock levels are astounding. If I call, they can all speak with authority on pipes and pipe tobacco. It's a formula that I have to assume has worked well for them. Certainly, I have spent more money, individually, with P&C, Iwan Ries, Daughters and Ryan, Smokingpipes and 4noggins than I have with all B&M's combined.
I've missed sniffing jars, handling pipes and shootin' the shit with the store denizens. But as my former newspaper colleagues say, when we start waxing poetic about the golden years of photojournalism "That job doesn't exist anymore, move on".

frankenstein

Might Stick Around
Dec 7, 2013
Can't blame the B&M's. They're being treated unfairly by the goverments and perhaps they don't understand or are willing to invest in an online presence. Pipe smoking is a niche market. Everyone needs to make profit if they want to stay in business and to afford food on their own table. In sweden there's quite impossible to only sell pipes and pipe tobacco. 50g of tobacco kost 225SEK (34,6$) and how can they compete with that when you can order tobacco from the US? There's no special tax for pipes as it is for tobacco but still the prices are silly. Would you pay $130 for a Peterson Aran? No wouldn't think so! I've got a really nice tobacco store in the nearest town, they have a really good selection of pipes and tobacco but do I go there? No, only once when I bought my first tin of tobacco. I don't even make the effort to go there to look at the pipes because I know that I can get a mid level Peterson for the same price if I order it from Al Pascia, Bollitopipe or Novelli. But shipping you say, what about the shipping!? Yeah sure, 10 euro which is aprox. 90SEK. Hell that's what i would have to pay for gas to go back and forth to the tobacco shop.
I buy my tobacco from the US and my pipes from Italy. I have no real cause to change that behaviour. The only thing that really bugs me is that the british and irish retailers really suck at displaying their pipes on their web sites. Why are they not doing a better job, even the german retailers manage to do that. Why can't I go to Peterson.ie and find any model and shape that they make and buy it from them? Why do they not list all of their models? Why do they suck so infinit? I have been looking for a Rock of Cashel b23 (the army mount model) but can't find it anywhere on the internet. Peterson.ie doesn't even list it as being in production.
/rant over

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Well, there's certainly an age divide of people who grew up with 'puters and those that did not, but if you are in business, and either "don't get" marketing, or don't hire people who do, then you deserve what you have coming.
Looking through Pipes and Tobacco magazine, I'm astounded by the number of businesses with no web presence listed and/or no business web domain. Who the f' still uses aol for business? I never had aol, but moved to my own domain in the late 90's. A lot of people in the pipes and pipe tobacco business are over the age of 50, which is pretty much the dividing line for computers in the classroom in high school. They've resigned themselves to the fact that they are in a dying business. That's sad for them, but a fantastic opportunity for folks the likes of smokimgpipes.com.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
woodsroad, if the oldsters who know tobacco and pipe lore have the presence of mind to pair up and mentor

young people with all the online skills, it could be a partnership made in heaven. Not every old/young pair

is going to work, but for individuals able to bridge the divide, it could be a piece of entrepreneurial magic.

I don't think the iconic NYC tobacconist Nat Sherman has an online presence, or much of one; contrast with

Iwan Ries in Chicago, which is no web innovator but does a workmanlike job.
I'm well over fifty. My work place and home place introduction to computer technology amounted to intense

long-term aversion therapy. I've just submitted my first book manuscript online, so I feel like I am moving

along one step at a time.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Very much agreed. I don't like where the marketing for Holt's and JR have headed, but what they are doing is reaching for a younger audience, and that's what they should be doing. Of course, alienating their base (people over 40) isn't admirable, either.
I'm guessing that the only way that Nat Sherman, or any other New York tobacco business, could compete online would be to do what P&C has done: Move to Pennsylvania.

swilford

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2010
Longs, SC
corporate.laudisi.com
The crazy thing is, I'm agreeing with every comment here, good, and bad. Here's why....
If you know what your looking for online, it's easy. Click the Brand, Click the edition/style/finish, find your pipe.
If you are looking for the "next pipe" and are wanting to see all 1/8th bents, only billiards, etc., regardless of brand, then your outta luck.
Someone, somewhere is going to figure out just how easy (and cheap) it is to index pipes by every possible data point, let you search by any (or multiple) combinations... And, will end up dominating the online market even if they're a couple bucks more expensive. Just because they will become "the resource" for finding pipes.
Here you go, 3500-ish pipes searchable by eleven metrics:

http://www.smokingpipes.com/search/pipesearch.cfm

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Sykes said all there is to say.
He's got the best search for pipes I've ever seen on anybody's site. And if he's smart, he'll add even more metrics... Muahahahaha!
Browsing pipes on anyone else's site is extremely painful to me. Sometimes you don't know what you're in the mood for, so you need to be able to browse things that maybe you wouldn't have seen otherwise if you stick to just the Peterson section. That's why I love the smokingpipes.com search engine. It's simple, and beautiful.
Keep up the good work. Your pipe videos are gorgeous too.
Every website selling something needs to have a video of the product IMO.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
One further suggestion for Sykes, to add another metric, how 'bout classifying which pipes do well with Latakia and which do well with straight Virginias? Just kidding. You guys do one helluva job. Best in the biz, bar none.
PS - Sykes, perhaps you may want open a new department at SP, to further sales: A pre-smoked pipe department, like this old Dr. Grabow advert. Just send me a selection of your new Dunhills every month, I'll smoke 'em good, and return them to you, with a perfectly trimmed cake. Of course, you'll have to send me a couple pounds of your best, and we're good to go.
20090724SAWG_fg17a.jpg

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
How bout which ones Sykes secretly licked because he has to wait two weeks until he's allowed to buy it for himself and doesn't want anyone else to have it... TMI?

natibo

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
I would love to buy pipes from B&M but their selection is pathetic. I buy tobacco from and other sundries from them so they will stay open as a place to smoke indoors. A B&M store would have to be huge to offer the selection at SP.

Status
Not open for further replies.