Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
I always have liked my Petes. I suppose I've always had good luck with them.

OP, might I suggest you contact the vendor and see if you can work out an exchange or return?

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I've had good luck with my Petersons.

However issues like these arise frequently enough that perhaps the company doesn't view them as quality issues, IOW it's acceptable, or at least the rate it occurs is acceptable.

Reactions: Puffaluffaguss

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
There used to be a rather popular brand of bagpipes back in 80s. R. G. Hardie. Had good reputation and most people played a set unless they had much older pipes known for their drone and the booming sound. I had one. Then new pipes started coming into scene. David Naill was a big one with other coming along. Compare to Naill pipes, Hardie was quieter and wasn't drilled nicely. So the question of QC start going around. Now, Hardie had their fans. I do have Hardie and it is quiet, but has sweet tone. Good for dance hall. I also have Naill and I do love those large drones and booming sounds. Hardie also started making new line of pipes copied from turn of last century. It used to be said "does Hardie do any QC?" Answer was always "what QC?".

Reactions: SBC
a rather popular brand of bagpipes back in 80s. R. G. Hardie
It's odd to see "popular" and "bagpipes" used together like that, ha ha. This is like saying "the most towel used in waterboarding."

A friend of mine used to play his bagpipes in the city gazebo next to the road in our city as traffic was at it's most congested. I think the idea was to serenade the traffic to calm the masses, but people were all throwing full coke battles and screaming obscenities at the poor fellow. He couldn't grasp that the sound of bagpipes does not please most people, ha ha.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
It's odd to see "popular" and "bagpipes" used together like that, ha ha. This is like saying "the most towel used in waterboarding."

A friend of mine used to play his bagpipes in the city gazebo next to the road in our city as traffic was at it's most congested. I think the idea was to serenade the traffic to calm the masses, but people were all throwing full coke battles and screaming obscenities at the poor fellow. He couldn't grasp that the sound of bagpipes does not please most people, ha ha.
Forgot to mention, within the piper community x)

Davy

Can't Leave
Nov 22, 2022
Customer opinions are strange things. I used to work with a leading personal computer manufacturer in 90s. Since I was in customer support, only thing I heard was defect issues and the customers being dumb asses. Compare to total number of PC being sold against number of defects were very low. But most of the people in customer support had same opinion of never buying what we sold. I'm sure customers who experience the problems had same opinion. And with pipes, I expect same results. Once you experience a problem, you expectation will slide a little. Defects and slip through QC compare to well made pipes are far and in between. But once you experience bad side of a brand, it leaves bad taste in your mouth. Use to have saying "it's easier to lose a customer than to gain one. Keep them happy."
Are you saying people calling on Peterson QC issues are dumb asses?

• Haha
Reactions: craig61a

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
My main issue with Peterson pipes is the inconsistent drilling. Draft holes that are above the floor of the chamber, flush with side of the chamber. Tends to leave unburned tobacco in the bottom, around 1/4 of the bowl. There have also been fit and cosmetic issues on pipes that were made after 2018, so they can’t be blamed on the prior “regime”.

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
I would just say that we as humans are imperfect so the things we make even with precise machinery will eventually produce something imperfect. Chalk it up to humans being human.

• Love
Reactions: ashdigger

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
This is like when I see people say Cuba is known for the quality of their cigars lol.
Great tobacco, BUT
Something happens after harvesting and curing the leaves :rolleyes:
Unfortunately the QC issue with Habanos is not restricted to their entry level sticks but affects their premium Cohiba and Trinidad brands as well :mad: