PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
“ Historians say the Founding Fathers smoked pipes nonstop …”
And, there you go. Asked and answered! rotf I would certainly think the ones who raised tobacco would smoke. The others?

I would suggest checking the published historians citations. I don't think anyone here can answer unless they were there. We'd mostly likely be citing the same "historical" authors.

jerry

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 2, 2009
Western Massachusetts
And, there you go. Asked and answered! rotf I would certainly think the ones who raised tobacco would smoke. The others?

I would suggest checking the published historians citations. I don't think anyone here can answer unless they were there. We'd mostly likely be citing the same "historical" authors.
I like the image of smoking pipes nonstop 😊

makhorkasmoker

Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
I’m interested in what they were smoking, nonstop or not, in those pipes. Some kind of heirloom air cured, but would it have been like our burley? Or piled longer like cigar tobacco?

Reactions: anotherbob

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
They did supposedly drink beer throughout the day, though. They thought it was healthy for you.

It might also be of intrest that they, like myself, did not favor Bud Light.

Some historians say they drank either Miller or Coors.
They drank a lot of rum.

"During the colonial era, rum was the preferred alcoholic drink of American colonists. By one estimate, colonists consumed 3.7 gallons annually per head by the time of the American Revolution."

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
They drank a lot of rum.

"During the colonial era, rum was the preferred alcoholic drink of American colonists. By one estimate, colonists consumed 3.7 gallons annually per head by the time of the American Revolution."
So they well of their faces on the hard stuff! Good old Captain Bacardi to the rescue!

jbfrady

Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
It's hard to say with any certainty who specifically smoked a pipe, since pipes weren't especially prevalent in America at the time. Iain Gately claims that every president until John Tyler was a tobacco user of one kind or another, but their methods varied. Members of high society usually preferred snuff, while members of lower classes mostly chewed.

Because tobacco was America's primary cash crop, Ben Franklin made a public push for Americans to consume as much of it as possible. An appetite suppressant, tobacco use was generally regarded as a helpful universal practice. Plus, the more tobacco Americans smoked, snuffed, or chewed, the more limited the product and therefore the higher it could be sold for.

The unfortunate thing about this particular topic is that tobacco use was so widespread (estimated 75+% population), nobody thought to comment on it unless someone seemed to go at it harder than everybody else.

• Love

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
It's hard to say with any certainty who specifically smoked a pipe, since pipes weren't especially prevalent in America at the time. Iain Gately claims that every president until John Tyler was a tobacco user of one kind or another, but their methods varied. Members of high society usually preferred snuff, while members of lower classes mostly chewed.

Because tobacco was America's primary cash crop, Ben Franklin made a public push for Americans to consume as much of it as possible. An appetite suppressant, tobacco use was generally regarded as a helpful universal practice. Plus, the more tobacco Americans smoked, snuffed, or chewed, the more limited the product and therefore the higher it could be sold for.

The unfortunate thing about this particular topic is that tobacco use was so widespread (estimated 75+% population), nobody thought to comment on it unless someone seemed to go at it harder than everybody else.
I know Washington order a large quantity of Lavender scented snuff. I assume he used it but it was part of his written down expenses.
p.s. the pipe tobacco named after them is a favorite aromatic.

Reactions: jbfrady

jbfrady

Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
I know Washington order a large quantity of Lavender scented snuff. I assume he used it but it was part of his written down expenses.
p.s. the pipe tobacco named after them is a favorite aromatic.
Very likely. From what Gately's book deduced, snuff was a prized military possession from the rise of the English empire until the Vietnam War.

• Wow