Did anyone ever has changed a normal pipe to a system pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 16, 2012
Hi All.

is that possible?

That i drill a normal pipe shank to build a moisture trap ?did anyone ever do that?

I want drill end of shank of my a bent pipe and continue the bare deeper and build a moisture trap like a peterson system pipe.

Is that work?Did anyone ever done this?

tnx.

acme

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2011
I did it once. It was in the late 70's. I wanted to solve a gurgle in a caminetto oompaul that I had. I drilled the largest bore hole that I could straight down into the shank on the same line as the mortise. Did exacly what it was supposed to do.
Just like samcoffeeman said, though, because it was an oompaul, there was some extra space in the shank. Perhaps it would be tough to find a better shaped pipe to do the experiment on given the direction the drafthole goes on one of these pipes.
anthony

Oct 16, 2012
I have a wessex oom paul which there is some extra space in the shank.but that pipe dose NOT much problem,but i like to build moisture trap in it.

but i have a peterson sterling silver XL02 red finish and p-lip ,with some moisture problem in the mouthpiece and tongue bit.which there is some extra space too.

My peterson system b42(darwin) , 317 ebony and 302 brown smooth are the coolest and most dry smoke in my collection.and i want change some of my bent pipes to system pipe.i start with sterling silver xl02 and i will let you know the results.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
If the extra space exists to drill the hole, go for it! I would definatley do this myself if I had that issue and the extra space existed to drill this. Just be careful to not drill the hole all the way through the pipe 8O

Status
Not open for further replies.