PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I've had devil's holiday on my list for some time now.
Anyone with a new tin? Do they have warning label on? It's a very cheeky devil on the tin that's very old world folklore.
The tin that I purchased online and received last month doesn't have a warning label, but also didn't have full tin artwork.

Attachments

• 20200410_091855.jpg
    20200410_091855.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 1

Mis Pipas

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Holy Land
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

When I cut open the 250 gr foil bag of Dan Devil's Holiday- the plan was to sample it and stuff the remainder into a quart bell jar. That part of the plan when well. It fit perfectly- the 250 grams fills a quart jar right to the top.
The blackberry-vanilla aroma quickly filled the tiny smoke room.
The moisture level was not too sticky or wet. So after 20 minutes or so, I filled the bowl of a recently cleaned Rossi 320.
For my tastes, it was a bit over the top in the flavor department.

I prefer unflavored tobacco in general. However, I am open to the idea of aromatics. The few that I have sampled have ended up on the cellar list as keepers. They tend to grow on me after a few bowls of getting used to. At least that is what happened when I smoked a 2 oz sample of Peretti's No Name and again with Dan's Honeydew Vanilla. Both quality products IMHO. The latter ended up being consumed in about ten day's time. I ended up really enjoying it. This opened up the idea that maybe the Germans know a bit about blending aros and that i should seek out other Dan products.

Devil's Holiday in a different story. Although the base tobacco is a high quality Virginia, I only really enjoy it when I mix it at most at 50% with another tobacco. I did some testing ( relative to my current taste standards) 25%, 50% and 75% mix with Sutliff Virginia Slices. 25% is about right for me. Pure and undiluted it's berry flavor is just too much. I don't find it chemical, goopy or artificial- just too much berry.
Burn rate was fine. No re-lights were necessary. And the flavor really holds up right down through the dottle.

So, If you like an quality aro with a tremendous amount of wild berry flavor- this one might just be worth a try.
Thank you for your review

Status
Not open for further replies.