PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Thanks Pipe Novelist - I guess wiping off the excess and using a good quality oil is the way to go. I tried it on one pipe, but hasn't really been long enough yet to know if it is working.

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
I am a sworn convert to Haunted's Obsidion Pipe Stem Oil. It works. Period.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I've found Obsidion oil works great to SHINE, but it doesn't really CLEAN.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I use olive oil after every other smoke, works perfect. keeps oxidatoin at a minimum, never had a smell, even protects it from sunlight...as does chapstick

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Mr. Clean Magic erasers work pretty good at removing oxidation on stems. I have one in my I only use for this. Then I use regular cooking oil (canola) and it seems to work just as good as Olive oil. Personally I save Olive oil for salad dressing. I believe extra virgin olive oil will go rancid quicker than the cheap olive oil.

clanobucklin

Jan 19, 2010
Mineral Oil also works great to keep the pipe and stem shiny...plus you don't have to worry about olive oil going rancid. Although to be honest I have used olive oil without any deliterous side affects (ie going rancid).
Also Mineral Oil - for some reason - gives pipe bowls a nice patina.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
i soak in extreemly mild bleach water for an hour then use 1000 grit wet paper to lightly rub and oxidation comes off completly! and easily, for final touch i rub with virgin olive oil an let sit overnite. stem comes out beautiful

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
I'm with buster. I just grabbed a (clean magic eraser) last night since I saw it posted somewhere else and it worked just great. Nice and shiny stem now ! :clap:

mano

Might Stick Around
Nov 29, 2011
Just received a pipe that could use some bowl and stem cleaning and will use the videos and some of the tips here as a guide.
Wish me luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.