PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

homesteader

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2019
I've never tried e-cigarettes or vapes, but what worries me is that every time I see one of these proposals it includes "other flavored tobacco products." Sounds like it could include pipe tobacco as well. This will be something to keep our eyes on and let our representatives in Congress know how we feel. The kicker for me is as far as I know vapes/e-cigarettes are not a tobacco product, they just happen to contain nicotine.

Here is the link to the full article: Democratic Lawmakers Call on FDA to Remove all Flavored E-Cigarettes - https://tobaccobusiness.com/democratic-lawmakers-call-on-fda-to-remove-all-flavored-e-cigarettes/

Reactions: BROBS
Oct 7, 2016
The concluding paragraph of the letter to the FDA:

We strongly recommend that FDA’s premarket review process require manufacturers to provide convincing evidence that their products do not increase youth use of nicotine and tobacco in ways that increase the risk of abuse and addiction among youth. Products that quickly addict new users, including youth, and then sustain addiction should not be allowed to stay on, or enter, the market.”

The FDA approval process referenced is technical and complicated, but it has so far worked out more favorably to pipe tobacco than originally forecast. As long as the focus is on Vape and next generation products, I expect that will continue . There is also pressure on the FDA to do something about synthetic nicotine products like PuffBar.

The reasons for cellaring are legion, but this particular article is in a strange sort of way good news.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
I've never tried e-cigarettes or vapes, but what worries me is that every time I see one of these proposals it includes "other flavored tobacco products." Sounds like it could include pipe tobacco as well. This will be something to keep our eyes on and let our representatives in Congress know how we feel. The kicker for me is as far as I know vapes/e-cigarettes are not a tobacco product, they just happen to contain nicotine.

Here is the link to the full article: Democratic Lawmakers Call on FDA to Remove all Flavored E-Cigarettes - https://tobaccobusiness.com/democratic-lawmakers-call-on-fda-to-remove-all-flavored-e-cigarettes/
Most nicotine used in vapes, e-cigs, and similar products is from tobacco. There are a few companies now attempting to patent and market non-tobacco derived synthetic nicotine, but they are a minority.

Reactions: BROBS

Jeremiah Johnson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2020
Westchester County, NY
I actually want to comment on that locked thread about the Federal MOMMA's act to raise tobacco taxes to fund programs for maternity and post-partum issues - I can't even tell why the thread was locked. LOL.

Anyway, what I wanted to mention (and please don't reply to this in a way that will get THIS thread locked!) is:

I was just reading an article about that act which mentions one of the things it includes is also increasing taxes (or adding new taxes?) on Nicotine patches, lozenges, etc.!! Does that make sense? Make it more expensive for people to attempt to STOP smoking to raise money for other efforts to improve the peoples' health?

Does anyone know if there's currently a tax on those products? (Patches, lozenges, etc.)? It would make sense for there to be no tax on them.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I actually want to comment on that locked thread about the Federal MOMMA's act to raise tobacco taxes to fund programs for maternity and post-partum issues - I can't even tell why the thread was locked. LOL.

Anyway, what I wanted to mention (and please don't reply to this in a way that will get THIS thread locked!) is:

I was just reading an article about that act which mentions one of the things it includes is also increasing taxes (or adding new taxes?) on Nicotine patches, lozenges, etc.!! Does that make sense? Make it more expensive for people to attempt to STOP smoking to raise money for other efforts to improve the peoples' health?

Does anyone know if there's currently a tax on those products? (Patches, lozenges, etc.)? It would make sense for there to be no tax on them.
Anchorage just slapped a 55% tax on tobacco-free nicotine pouches. Went from $5 a can to $7.50

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Pouches or patches? If there are tobacco-free nicotine POUCHES, I didn't know such a thing existed! Or is that an April Fool's joke?
As embers demonstrated, there are multiple brands of pouches now. Great way to get a nic fix and limit carcinogen exposure if that's your thing. I use them all day every day and keep my smoking down to about once a week.

They are made from nicotine salt, the remainder of the ingredients (filler and what not) are all food grade.

Oct 7, 2016
Some nicotine pouches are made with synthetic nicotine, some aren‘t. There is a vape product, PuffBar, made with synthetic nicotine, as well as a few other lower profile synthetic nicotine vapes. PuffBar is driving the activists bat manure crazy right now because it is widely available in convenience stores and comes in Kiddie friendly flavors. No one expects this “loophole“ to last very long, but somebody (nobody is really sure who is behind PuffBar) is making a ton of money peddling tobacco free, synthetic nicotine right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.