PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I generally smoke non-aromatic blends with no latakia. I smoke lots of burleys, va/burs, vas, and va/pers and usually dedicate my cobs and briars to either be used primarily for virginias and Virginia/per blends or for burleys and va/bur blends. Is this something that I should do with my new meerschaum pipe or does this not matter as much? I recently got an altinay billiard as a workhorse pipe and it is my first meerschaum.

Reactions: TheWhale13

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Some say it's impossible to ghost a meerschaum but at their core they are sponges and will absorb whatever you smoke in them. Pick a genre you like and smoke away or if you're not into dedicating, smoke it as you like, no rules.? I'm up to 13 of them now and yes, they can ghost.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Some say it's impossible to ghost a meerschaum but at their core they are sponges and will absorb whatever you smoke in them. Pick a genre you like and smoke away or if you're not into dedicating, smoke it as you like, no rules.? I'm up to 13 of them now and yes, they can ghost.
Thanks for the advice man. I might end up dedicating one to Virginia based blends and one to burley based blends. I’m really diggin virginias in this altinay billiard.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I generally smoke non-aromatic blends with no latakia. I smoke lots of burleys, va/burs, vas, and va/pers and usually dedicate my cobs and briars to either be used primarily for virginias and Virginia/per blends or for burleys and va/bur blends. Is this something that I should do with my new meerschaum pipe or does this not matter as much? I recently got an altinay billiard as a workhorse pipe and it is my first meerschaum.
You should treat the Meer the same as a briar. It will absolutely ghost similarly to what a briar will. I don't get why people with lots of pipes don't dedicate them to a blend but to each their own.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
my experience is they ghost easier but also clear out easier. Like if you smoke something strong the next few bowls of whatever will taste like it but it clears out and shows up easier. Or that's my minimal experience with them. I prefer briar.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
my experience is they ghost easier but also clear out easier. Like if you smoke something strong the next few bowls of whatever will taste like it but it clears out and shows up easier. Or that's my minimal experience with them. I prefer briar.
I've got a couple that the outside of the pipe smells like what's been smoked in them.