Dearborn, Michigan: Pipe-friendly Places?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I'll be in Dearborn next week for work. The hotel is smoke-free, damn it. Anyone know of places near The Dearborn Inn where I can enjoy a pipe?

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Do be aware that pipe smoking is prohibited by Michigan law in virtually all cigar lounges. Your indoor options are going to be extremely limited.
Doc

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
Cosmic-- For tobacconists, you can qualify for two different kind of smoking exemptions in Michigan.
One is an all-purpose smoking exemption: to keep it every year you have to show about 80% (or so) sales in tobacco products. In this sort of environment, you can smoke any kind of tobacco you like.
The other kind of exemption is a cigar bar exemption: to keep it every year you have to show about 10% (or so) sales in cigars. In this sort of environment, only cigars are allowed to be smoked on premises.
Right now, there are at least 2x as many places with the cigar bar exemption operating in Michigan. Hope that helps.

Thanks Dan, that totally clears it up. For the bars, maybe a Joyce pipe, if you don't like cigars at all. I would probably just load up on some stogies while in the area. Too bad there aren't pipe bars.
How is it for just walking around the town with a pipe? Down here, I find that I can even get away with smoking my pipe in the grocery store, if I forget that I have it. Most people in Alabama totally excuse the pipe as not being the same as a cigarette.

spartan99

Can't Leave
Mar 10, 2017
Don Yeyo Cigar Factory. Our pipe club meets there regularly. It's only a mile away from The Dearborn Inn.

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
@Cosmic-- walking around town with a pipe is not a big deal. The smoking exemptions are heavy handed bureaucracy more than the thoughts or wishes of the populace, especially business owners. Most people don't care don't care if you walk about smoking a pipe. You might get an odd look or two, but more often than not most folks leave you alone.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Doctor and Spartan, can you inform me more, via PM if you wish, about your pipe club. Jud and I tried a while back, but it just didn't take off. Thanks!

spartan99

Can't Leave
Mar 10, 2017
It's called the North Oakland Tobacco and Pipe Club, but the bulk of the meetings are now at Don Yeyo's, which is in Wayne County. I see that a member posted about our meetings here in October 2014. I don't recognize him. That was before I joined and they were still meeting at Churchill's. That became unworkable because of the regulatory reasons mentioned earlier in this thread. Churchill's is a bar. Don Yeyo's is not. I caught up with them by luck when they showed up in Dearborn.
We meet on the second Tuesday of the month now. There's a Facebook page, but it's pretty dead. One of the guys sends a reminder via e-mail a couple of days before the scheduled meeting, and that's about all there is to it. Average attendance is between six and eight members.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cosmic, you smoke your pipe in the grocery, what a great accommodation. I doubt it bothers most people, but there are enough people in most regions who would take that as an excuse to vent anger on the health pretext. You're keying their asthma or bronchitis, even though you are moving along and thirty feet away. That's a pleasingly unusual live-and-let-live attitude you have there. Congratulations.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Several Hiltons I've used have outdoor smoking areas, some with shelters for inclement weather, and nicely arranged with fences and plantings, so that they are good outdoors areas for smokers and non-smokers alike, and enough space for one group to avoid the other if desired. The Vassar guest house (we were guests at a wedding) had a pleasant area with tables, umbrellas, chairs and ashtrays. So these places exist, and some are at hotel chains.

Status
Not open for further replies.