PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I just finished restoring the Willmer AAA Straight Grain Dave found on Ebay and the first pipe he bought, a neat GBD bent billiard. Both get send back to Dave tomorrow, I'm sure he is anxious to try out that Willmer.
The GBD was pretty straightforward. The stamped stem logo was too faded to save, but the stem brightened up nicely. The bowl was in great shape and just needed buffed with Tripoli/White Diamond/Carnuba. Here is that finished pipe:

The Willmer AAA Straight Grain is quite a nice pipe and a great find for Dave. The bowl top looked scorched from the photos on Ebay, but that only turned out to be tar buildup. Once removed, the briar top has plenty of good looking birdseye. This is a very handsome pipe. I love the bowl dimples, a trademark for Willmers it seems. It is at least a Group 5, perhaps 6, but very light. The stem had some tooth marks on the top and bottom. The top came out nicely as did most of the ones on the bottom of the stem. Here is the pipe before and after.

Enjoy them Dave!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I recommend that big Willmer! For the stem work, the usual mixture of 2000 grit wet, than 4000>6000>8000> micromesh followed by Tripoli>White Diamond>Plastic polish on the buffer.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
There is a section on Willmer in Rare Smoke, I'll have to pull that out and re-read that information. You can definitely see the Charatan influence in their shapes.

Status
Not open for further replies.