PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

molst

Lurker
Sep 8, 2021
Sweden
I’m smoking this incredible English the forth time while writing this review. This time I decided to smoke this blend to confirm if this really is my favourite English so I do it with full concentration and in perfect summer conditions. The last time I smoked it was at a wet party last weekend so I couldn’t be sure if it really was this good.

I compare it with the others I have smoked the last year, which are SG Squadron Leader, SG Navy Flake, Peterson Old Dublin and HU Dockworker. Of these five, Midnight Ride absolutely has the best balanced smoke. All the others either has something that is a little too much to the end of the smoke or some rough edge that is slightly annoying all through the smoke. I really like the Navy Flake though, so I will most likely give it another try.

The Latakia is not hiding. It is clearly there. But it is never too much. A little sweet and not too sour. Clearly Virginia based because I usually have a problem with Burley, but no clear grass or hay. The perique is hiding, but because I love that I’m quite sure it is doing its thing in the background. The best thing with this tobacco is this great balance. It knows what it is (lat), but is not too much of anything. On a virginia base.

My quest for the perfect English is over. This will most likely be my late Evening smoke for many years ahead. My next quest will be to find the perfect straight virginia.

Cheers!

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
All of the online vendors still have product pages for it so that would generally leave me to believe it’s just out of stock. There is 1 vendor I see that still seems to have inventory.

Reactions: FLDRD

filmguerilla

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2022
Memphis, Tennessee
I think it's a great summer English blend for me. During the hot months, I like an English at night and it's usually either Midnight Ride, Fusilier's Ration, or Davidoff Royalty. I go a bit stronger as the months get colder and steer towards Quiet Nights, Gaslight, and H&H Ten to Midnight.

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
A favorite back in the day. They discontinued import of the 16oz bags some years ago, but the tins show up from time to time.

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
I’m smoking this incredible English the forth time while writing this review. This time I decided to smoke this blend to confirm if this really is my favourite English so I do it with full concentration and in perfect summer conditions. The last time I smoked it was at a wet party last weekend so I couldn’t be sure if it really was this good.

I compare it with the others I have smoked the last year, which are SG Squadron Leader, SG Navy Flake, Peterson Old Dublin and HU Dockworker...
I love Dockworker myself, but it's not an English. There's no Latakia in it (though you'd almost think there was), so that could explain why it didn't hit the spot for you.

For a minute there I thought Sextant by GLP was my favorite English. Then I learned that what I thought was Latakia was, in fact, Dark Fired Kentucky.