PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
I bought a tin of this because I like things with pictures of sailing ships, I have been smoking Virginia blends lately in an attempt to "learn" to smoke them better, and it was very inexpensive.

When I opened the tin the first thing i noticed was that it was packed full, there is more tobacco crammed into this 40 gram tin than there is in most 2oz (57gram) tins from other manufacturers. The tin note is pure Virginia, like opening a fresh pack of Canadian cigarettes, hay and raisins. It is at the perfect moisture level for smoking right out of the tin.

It packs, lights, and smokes easily, and usually doesn't require a charring light, or much in the way of relights, burns to a clean ash without chunky wet dottle, and didn't leave any goo or excessive moisture in my pipes. No additives, flavourings, or humectants that I can tell.

At the top of the bowl it is probably the most hay tasting Virginia I have smoked yet, with a little bit of a fresh herbaceous quality. After a few puffs the hay changes to dry summer grass, with hints of sweet corn. I thought it was because I was smoking it in cobs, but I smoked some in briars and an apple wood pipe and I still get a pleasant sweet corn note. Past halfway, the grass and hay changes to more of a toasted wheat with a drop of honey, with a some dark tea, a bit of earth and spice, and a hint of something savoury almost like soy sauce. Then it's done.

If you smoke it too fast it gets hot, ashy, and a little bitey, also, the pleasant flavours and aromas dissapear.

A quality bright Virginia for a low price, on a scale of one to ten I would say it's pretty good. Definitely will purchase again.????

20200712_193900.jpg

20200708_174648.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That is a vivid flavor profile. D&R is located deep in the old tobacco belt and probably knows many of the source farms of their leaf, so I think you get premium tobacco at working man prices. I'm not surprised it more than met expectations. Thank you for the review. I like their Two Timer burley blend, two burleys twice toasted.

Guppy

Might Stick Around
Sep 6, 2019
Texas
I agree, something about the ease of smoking makes D&R blends a favorite of mine to grab a quick puff. Windsail, Three Sails, Sigaro, and Picayune are a few I keep stocked. Can't beat the price either, in fact I have two more pounds of Three Sails on the way thanks to the sale at SP.

Pipewizard420

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 28, 2020
Just discovered today that the local Wild Bill's smoke shop started carrying a few D&R blends Wildsail being one of them (labeled as 2 Daughters). With the discontinuation of several D&R blends it's awesome to see some of them heading in the other direction and becoming more readily available.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Thanks for the review.

A 1lb bag of Windsail Virginia was my first order when I discovered U.S. online tobacconists.

At the time I mainly used it as a mixer but it's fine straight.
It's a nice smoke.

Not only is it very reasonably priced but ones not paying for excessive moisture. [I resent the need to dry tobacco before it'll ignite]
As Mark Ryan said when asked why his blends are so dry; "I'm in the business of selling tobacco, not water" [Or words to that effect] Respect.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Thanks for the review.

A 1lb bag of Windsail Virginia was my first order when I discovered U.S. online tobacconists.

At the time I mainly used it as a mixer but it's fine straight.
It's a nice smoke.

Not only is it very reasonably priced but ones not paying for excessive moisture. [I resent the need to dry tobacco before it'll ignite]
As Mark Ryan said when asked why his blends are so dry; "I'm in the business of selling tobacco, not water" [Or words to that effect] Respect.
It does make a great mixer, I've mixed it with all sorts of things and it has always worked out well. ??

Status
Not open for further replies.