PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThreeRivers

Lurker
Feb 15, 2020
N Florida
This is one of those tobaccos that sounds good in the description, Basma, Yenidje and Balkan virginias just seem to hit all my markers for something mouth watering. This in mind ,I grabbed up a 2oz tin with my regular TAD purchases a few months ago. When it arrived, I immediately opened the tin to sample and was just disappointed with the whole smoke. The smell was musty from the tin, and the smoke was an acrid, sour mess with a sharp twinge to it. So into a jar and to the back of the cabinet it went.

Today, about 5-6 months after the first experience with RB, I decided to give it a second try. Popping the jar, it now has just a straight Virginia smell, without that original musty overtone. The tobacco is dry, but not crispy, so it loaded easily into a Chacom Passy I reserve for oriental forward blends minus the latakia ( which I've seemed to have lost my taste for, but that's a story for a time). This time, the taste has changed dramatically, there's a buttery taste to the front, with a mild, but good, sour note, followed with a dry incense aftertaste. It has a medium body feel in the mouth, along with a mild numbing feeling on my lips( I actually like this feeling ), and stays consistent throughout the bowl.

I wouldn't put it as an all day smoke, but I'll be getting a few pounds to cellar , so I can have some on hand for a good midday smoke.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Good to hear!

I have read so many stories of poor performance out of the tin, but better in days, weeks, or months, that it is my practice to decant into a jar for a week for every blend.

I have some Ramback regular on the way that I can only hope turns out as well.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I bought a one pound bag of it about 2 years ago. It lives under my desk, still in a plastic bag. It never seems to change moisture or consistency.

It's one of my go-to smokes when I don't know what to smoke or don't want to think about what I'm smoking.

I enjoy it as a mellow, Oriental influenced smoke.

1592081569808.jpeg

ThreeRivers

Lurker
Feb 15, 2020
N Florida
Good stuff. Try mixing it with a tiny pinch of your sweetest VA. For some reason, this allows me to taste the different oriental varieties better. Gives them a buffer so they don't get as muddled.
My sweetest Virginia has been newminster 400 flake, the more I smoke of it the better it gets. But, the sweetest mix so far, has been macbaren navy flakes, pure honey from start to end. I'll probably try a pinch of either to mix with,a couple smokes down the road. Of course TAD just got the better of me, so there's quite a few new tobaccos ahead of any experimenting.

Reactions: rushx9 and BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I enjoy D&R's Two Timer, two burleys toasted twice, and Ramback Balkan sounds delectable. I smoke so slowly, but I will keep it in mind. No doubt it would appeal to me. Thanks for the succinct review!

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

Pipewizard420

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 28, 2020
Ramback Balkan is a unusual blend and not like most of the other Balkan blends I have tried. No Latakia here mostly Orientals but has good flavor like most D&R blends.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I love Orientals and Balkans. But this tobacco I would not wish on my worst enemy. It is downright heinous. I am not sure I would even consider using it as a mixer....why chance ruining the other tobacco?! I had a bucket of this...first tobacco I tossed out. I kept the bucket to hold pencils. Speaking of which, pencil shavings would probably taste better...I know they smell better.

Status
Not open for further replies.