Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
Get in touch with Mark Tinsky. He will sell you blocks at any level of quality you’d like, pre-drilled or not, you can pick the stem/shape, plateau, etc. A really solid guy and a really solid product.

He’s also willing to give you any advice/feedback you may want. I highly recommend him.
Great! I hope he’s got unlimited talk time on his phone. Bahahahahaha!

• Haha
Reactions: shermnatman

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
Is there a process to remove the sap even after you have a final pipe? I imagine that you would have to refinish the entire pipe but is it possible? That would play havoc on the mortise and tenon.
Besides all of the talks of oil curing methods, air curing is one of the most important types of curing. Just let it dry out.

Background information:

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Is there a process to remove the sap even after you have a final pipe? I imagine that you would have to refinish the entire pipe but is it possible? That would play havoc on the mortise and tenon.
Interesting question. You might try the alcohol and salt treatment and see if that helps. puffy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
chasing's volcano is a good example of some of the work that has been done by members here. A few have turned out impressive traditional shapes on the first or early tries. Some of the people must have had a head start in woodworking, carving, etc. A few did beautiful pipes with really limited tools.

It's always looked like too time consuming a project for me to take on with other work I do, but I admire the level of work some have done.

kyewski

Lurker
Apr 6, 2023
Hello,

I recently bought a briar blocks from Italy. Some briar blocks have green coating. I think it's because of the humidity of briar. The question is whether this is due to transport or just brair is wet. The website I ordered it from says that briar is drying 24 months.
What do you think about it?

Attachments

• IMG_20230406_152004.png
    IMG_20230406_152004.png
    1 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20230406_154212.png
    IMG_20230406_154212.png
    1,018.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20230406_154220.png
    IMG_20230406_154220.png
    984.1 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Hello,

I recently bought a briar blocks from Italy. Some briar blocks have green coating. I think it's because of the humidity of briar. The question is whether this is due to transport or just brair is wet. The website I ordered it from says that briar is drying 24 months.
What do you think about it?
It doesn't look like plume...

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Hmmm, I don't get what you mean. I am new in this world...
Sorry, I suppose that is a bit of an insider joke. Very often people see some wierd growth on their tobacco and immediately post on here asking if it is plume (desirable) or mold (undesirable). I was implying that it looks moldy.

kyewski

Lurker
Apr 6, 2023
Sorry, I suppose that is a bit of an insider joke. Very often people see some wierd growth on their tobacco and immediately post on here asking if it is plume (desirable) or mold (undesirable). I was implying that it looks moldy.

I wonder what this coating is, and what should i do to start working on them. Its beacuase I dont want to waste this wood.

Reactions: canucklehead

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
It looks like green mildew. Just brush it off with some water a detergent and you might sanitize it even more with a alcohol rub. Put the blocks in a dry place to dry out even more.

There is a lot of water used, while preparing and curing the briar, so mould can occur easily. To understand the curing process try pipedia: Curing - Pipedia - https://pipedia.org/wiki/Curing

While working on the block the surface which is now showing mildew will come off anyways.

Where did you buy it? And what have you paid for the briar.

Seeleybc1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
Palmer AK
In high school some buddies and I all made pipes for ourselves out of Osage, with long church warden stems made of copper tubing. We hammered out little flat mouthpieces and everything, and from what I remember they actually looked kinda cool. We didn’t know what we were doing but it was fun. Never really smoked them much, we were too busy smoking cigarettes and other rollable stuff, lol. I wonder if any of the pipes have survived, be neat to see now.

Reactions: canucklehead