PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
This *might* be a new crack in what appears to be a Peterson 2nd. It has "Made in the Republic of Ireland" stamp with a "P" on the stem.

This *might* be new, or not. *Might* because I don't see up close very well with contact lenses and recently I've utilized glasses more, and now I've found this crack. Even with the visual difficulty, I probably would have felt it with my fingers but I can't be certain. I can feel it now with my fingernail.

If this is a "new" crack, what would you do?
Smoke it until it "blows"?
Refrain from smoking it because it could "blow"?

I've plenty of other pipes, but this one does perform nicely.

I've used a flashlight to look in the chamber and notice nothing out of the ordinary.

1664550043715.png

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I've pulled it back out of the "hospital" cabinet and begun utilizing it again.

I was previously under the impression it was some Peterson 2nd, not sure how I got to that, but it's actually a Peterson 82s.

Odd thing is, it doesn't have a P-lip on it, and the only ones I've seen online all have P-lips. I must have a replacement stem that someone placed on at some point. But I sure enjoy the little pipe. Small but mighty...

Seems they're difficult to come across?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A cracked shank like that is somewhat unusual. I've had a pipe crack right where the shank joins the bowl, and I've seen other cracks in the shank near where it joins the stem, usually repaired with a band. I don't visualize a lot of heat building up at that point, so I can only think it is a flaw in the briar. If you have a large rotation, it might go on for years without much of a further process.

Reactions: FLDRD

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
A cracked shank like that is somewhat unusual. I've had a pipe crack right where the shank joins the bowl, and I've seen other cracks in the shank near where it joins the stem, usually repaired with a band. I don't visualize a lot of heat building up at that point, so I can only think it is a flaw in the briar. If you have a large rotation, it might go on for years without much of a further process.
Yeah it seems unusual to me as well but what do I know? (Not much yet on some aspects of this)

Anyway, it does NOT seem to be a location where heat builds up and seemed odd to me to find it. I honestly and unfortunately cannot say if it happened during my year or so with it, or if I overlooked it previously. Which could happen, as I hadn't even deduced it was a Peterson until lately too. By way of explanation, I bounce back and forth between glasses and contacts / readers for close observation and lots of details go unnoticed for a bit... Old eyes and all.

I am building a rotation of fair size so it's not over-worked, but it is well-loved.

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
I believe that I have something very similar on a Dunhill 6117 squat bulldog, I'll see if I can post pictures later (I'm in work now).
I hadn't noticed what could be perceived as a crack before, until I dropped the pipe. Of course, after dropping a pipe, one goes into extreme scrutiny of it. I even got a loupe out to take a look. Anyway, it would seem that it isn't a crack, but would be what GeorgeD suggests is a surface crack.

Oh yes. By the way. I have since dropped the darn thing another 2 times since the first, in the same week! :mad:

• Wow

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Peterson commonly uses fishtail stems. It's consistent within a "line" of pipes. The odds are whatever stem your pipe has is original to it.

A quick pic will tell all, if it's important to you for some reason.
Thanks, as you can see it has the appropriate stamp and fits well. I just prefer the P-lip as of late and wondered why all the ones I found online had it but mine didn't... Thanks for the input.

1665673998605.png

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Yup. Definitely original.

Whatever line that pipe is "from" (it's probably stamped somewhere) all had fishtails. Pete has had many lines over the years..