PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jwesthurl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 27, 2022
St. Louis
I picked this pipe up for $1 on the off chance that this crack is fixable. Any good ideas or techniques to make this work? I tried closing it up with a clamp just to see if it would work but it’s not happening. Shorten it into a nose-warmer perhaps??1DD4BFCF-C50A-4E9F-B606-46A54FF7D992.jpeg

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
If it's not closing up enough to take a metal repair band and the lines of the pipe don't lend itself to a nosewarmer proportion, I wonder if you could fit/bond a contrasting section of wood (maybe reinforced with a metal tube) that would make an interesting bridge between where the crack ends and the stem plugs in, keeping the original length. You could get creative with the bridge piece. Pipes are often seen with bamboo parts there (varying in degrees of success). Inlays as thin accents could be interesting if done tastefully.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Can’t wait to see the end result! Maybe you could do a photo documentary of the progress, that would be very interesting!

Reactions: jwesthurl

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
Plug the mortise. Put some wood filler in it. Sand it down. Stain it with a touch up marker... either that or use some duct tape. ?

Good score.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I had a Grabow that I once smoked so fast that it had goo leaking out of a crack about that size in its shank. I filled it with cake that I scraped out of the bowl, and smoked it like that for years. But those pipes you could adjust the metal tenons easily.
20160406_035728.jpg

I've also seen, (and by that I mean found and saved and still look at from time to time) a picture of I think an old Dunhill with a split shank like yours. He took wire and used it like a twisty tie on it. Looked neat.