PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
Was given this old Poole & Smythe Ltd. Magnum canadian-shape 845 (which the internet informs me was possibly a Dunhill second label?). Has a large crack in the front of the bowl, which goes all the way through. I presume this is unfixable--but I really don't know. I have heard people have put shattered pipes back together... Nice silver band, PSL on the stem.. neat pipe (save the crack). Can this be fixed to make it properly smokeable?
IMG_5774.jpg IMG_5775.jpg IMG_5776.jpg IMG_5777.jpg IMG_5780.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Theoretically possible, but a LOT of work.

Drill a large circular hole directly through the bowl wall (one that's large enough to encompass all existing damage), thread the hole, and screw a threaded briar plug into it.

Then cut/carve/trim away all the plug material that 's outside the "boundaries" of the chamber wall on both the outside and the inside.

Texture the exterior surface with a series of Dremel bits and 3M Spinny things until it matches the surrounding wood.

Re-stain and re-finish.

Fill with tobacco.

Apply flame.

Enjoy

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I personally would either smoke it or not. If I wanted to keep it as nifty antique (not quite but) I'd leave it alone and not smoke it. I would consider any fix to be more damaging then the crack. If I wasn't that keen on keeping it I'd smoke it and just be careful about my cadence including not risking smoking in the wind. That's just what I would do with it. Frankly I'd probably take the second option but I've seen a few pipes with similar cracks smoked for many years past the assumed imminent failure.

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
I personally would either smoke it or not. If I wanted to keep it as nifty antique (not quite but) I'd leave it alone and not smoke it. I would consider any fix to be more damaging then the crack. If I wasn't that keen on keeping it I'd smoke it and just be careful about my cadence including not risking smoking in the wind. That's just what I would do with it. Frankly I'd probably take the second option but I've seen a few pipes with similar cracks smoked for many years past the assumed imminent failure.
No sentimental value at all. A surprise estate gift included with another pipe. I'd like to smoke it. I have no qualms working on it. First thing will be to ream/sand inside of bowl to bare briar and see what I can see. Probably do a briar dust/superglue splooge on the outside, and jbweld on the inside crack, then coat the bowl and give it a go, per reborn pipes method. A project for next year.. or maybe the year after... puffy

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
No sentimental value at all. A surprise estate gift included with another pipe. I'd like to smoke it. I have no qualms working on it. First thing will be to ream/sand inside of bowl to bare briar and see what I can see. Probably do a briar dust/superglue splooge on the outside, and jbweld on the inside crack, then coat the bowl and give it a go, per reborn pipes method. A project for next year.. or maybe the year after... puffy
That's exactly what I was going to suggest - good thing I read the entire thread before replying...

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Was given this old Poole & Smythe Ltd. Magnum canadian-shape 845 (which the internet informs me was possibly a Dunhill second label?). Has a large crack in the front of the bowl, which goes all the way through. I presume this is unfixable--but I really don't know. I have heard people have put shattered pipes back together... Nice silver band, PSL on the stem.. neat pipe (save the crack). Can this be fixed to make it properly smokeable?
View attachment 254598 View attachment 254599 View attachment 254600 View attachment 254601 View attachment 254603
This is the second time I've seen that silver hallmark. One other time was on a Parker Campaign pipe I had.

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
This is the second time I've seen that silver hallmark. One other time was on a Parker Campaign pipe I had.

sweet pipe and very clean hallmark on yours! i do wonder what they mean...

Reactions: solideogloria86
Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
sweet pipe and very clean hallmark on yours! i do wonder what they mean...
I couldn't find anything about the hallmark, but I do find it interesting that Parker was a Dunhill at one time, and you've heard rumors that Poole & Smythe could be too, and they both bear the same hallmark.
It could be nothing, or it could be something.