PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sittingbear

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
I've got my eye on a Northern Briars Countryman pipe. According to pipes2smoke, "The idea of this pipe was simply a sturdy pipe that could easily be smoked outdoors even when windy or drizzly, which it always is in Yorkshire."

Can anyone tell me why (or whether) this pipe shape is especially conducive to inclement weather?

DSC01353_sm.jpg

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
It wont be. I live in a wet and windy climate and the only true solution is to move indoors. Wind caps help some times but when it's blowing over 50 you have to get indoors. From a drop/slip point of view that little rim may make it easier to hold with wet or gloved hands........ maybe!
I'd say it would be a good clenching pipe looking at the bit.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Wind caps, a wide brimmed hat and/or shielding your bowl properly, with your hand, in wet, blustry weather. Works for me! A bit of forethought will often lead to a workable solution. That pipe is just that, a smoking tool which, if allowed, will gather rain and burn hot if the wind is allowed to blow across the top.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
A shape laced in testosterone the countryman but alas no. As open to the elements just the same.

Pipes2smoke?
That's the joker with a name like a war criminal, Maxim Engel?
Several years ago I bought 5 pouches of St. Bruno from his site. Falsely advertised as original Ogdens of Liverpool pouches. Upon receipt, one turned out to be an imperial pouch that had 'been disturbed' & soaked in what I deduced to be red wine! (I kid you not). The other 4 pouches were Spanish market Mac Barnes production. Lo
As I'm in the UK, returning or complaining wasn't worth it. I just put it down to experience & mark the seller down as either a crook or a clown.