PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Question for the general membership: Why do people compare cigars v blends prices?
I do it because they are both available as high-quality (or “luxury”) tobacco products that are frequently sold in the same stores, ”one” of each may last a similar amount of time (thus providing a similar amount of smoking satisfaction), they involve the same approach to smoking (i.e., not inhaling), and they are occasionally purchased by the same people.

In my experience, many pipe smokers also enjoy an occasional cigar (this website devoted to pipes also includes a dedicated forum section about cigars). I have no idea how many auto owners also are involved in deep-sea diving.

Last edited:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
and to me the whole irony is that cigarettes kind of became what people think of as tobacco. And not only is the worst way to ingest tobacco through the lungs (soft spongy material that interacts with the air and sticky tars and carbon monoxide just don't mix). Honestly one of the best things we can do is be visible as pipe smokers. Let people see us not coughing up a lung and sounding like Doris from the Critic. And not just is that not how to smoke but did you ever see all the stuff they add to cigs. One of my favorite pathology class stories is learning about a rare highly aggressive pancreatic cancer that only effects people who work in the factory that makes a certain chemical (not people that work with it just people that make it) and cigarette smokers. I had a light bulb moment and looked it up and yes that chemical which I don't remember what it is was on the list of things added to cigs. So while not fair it's not hard to see how tobacco has lost some of it's esteem with the general public.

Deano

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2022
Iowa
Not sure moving to the U.S. is an option. Maybe for the short term but the way things are going it will be the same here before long.

Reactions: Elric

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
You could quit smoking and save yourself at of apparent consternation. Another option would be moving to the us.

Question for the general membership: Why do people compare cigars v blends prices? Two entirely different smoking experiences. Apples and oranges. Doing such is akin to comparing the cost of swim fins to the cost of an automobile. Both are modes of transportation aren't they?
why compare them? Because it clearly illustrates a solid value. The same way people might compare the price of caviar or goose liver pate with a less luxury but enjoyable food. Also while a different experience they both for some people scratch the same itch.

Reactions: Egg Shen

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I consider cigars to be an entirely different smoking experience with regard to pipes. I smoke both for different reasons. Both are luxury activities I suppose and similar in that sense I suppose. They do provide nicotine of course. I just see such comparisons as "false equivalence". Of course I don't understand smokers complaing about prices of blends. I'll concede that many people enjoy the "Woe is me" carping. The simple solution to their "woes" is to quit spending their moneys on pipe blends.

I guess I simply "knees jerked" a response to people constantly complaining about something they could so easily fix. A pet peeve I admit. If there's a problem fix it! Quit complaining! I'll try and keep my complaint to myself, that'll ease my consternation.:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I surmise that most of the cost of tobacco in Canada is government fees, tobacco taxes and or import duties. Years ago when I bought a Cuban cigar or two in Toronto, when they were illegal in the U.S., the prices weren't that steep, about like a good cigar from DR in the U.S. I smoked them in Toronto too, not wanting to contend with customs.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I surmise that most of the cost of tobacco in Canada is government fees, tobacco taxes and or import duties.
Of course. But the fact remains, there is nothing to do but, if you want the product, suck it up and pay. Everyone of us knew or should have known that prices go up, smoking is expensive and above all, a personal choice we can unmake anytime. It's really simple, pay, quit smoking or, make more money. I simply don't understand, when a problem is so simply solved why people keep bitching about the cost. I really, really, do not understand that mindset.

Making more money may mean moving, improving your value to your employer (gaining knowledge or skills). or what have you. But, there are solutions, some of them uncomfortable. And, yes, I understand there are some who have chosen to go through live complaining about the choices they did or did not make. And, I have the option to fix my complaint and choose to "ignore" them. It's a tough choice to make because even the worst of the complainers sometimes make good comments and observations.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Of course. But the fact remains, there is nothing to do but, if you want the product, suck it up and pay.
Of course you’re right. But my sympathies do go out to those folks who truly love tobacco and enjoy smoking it regularly.

I can’t help being reminded of author Alan Sillitoe (his love for all forms of smoking was chronicled in a short BBC recording available here: BBC News - Audio slideshow: My life as a smoker - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/629/629/6748859.stm), who was on the record as smoking 10 pipes a day. That would work out to, roughly, one tin every two days. (Based on the photos accompanying the BBC “slide show” recording, his blend of choice was the original Virginia/perique version of Three Nuns.) If you have to pay $25/day to enjoy your pipe the way you want to…well, again, I sympathize with those who would find themselves in that position.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Of course. But the fact remains, there is nothing to do but, if you want the product, suck it up and pay. Everyone of us knew or should have known that prices go up, smoking is expensive and above all, a personal choice we can unmake anytime. It's really simple, pay, quit smoking or, make more money. I simply don't understand, when a problem is so simply solved why people keep bitching about the cost. I really, really, do not understand that mindset.

Making more money may mean moving, improving your value to your employer (gaining knowledge or skills). or what have you. But, there are solutions, some of them uncomfortable. And, yes, I understand there are some who have chosen to go through live complaining about the choices they did or did not make. And, I have the option to fix my complaint and choose to "ignore" them. It's a tough choice to make because even the worst of the complainers sometimes make good comments and observations.
When the price of bread is the price of a cigar, the complaints won't be resolved so "easily". The assumption that most people can resolve these issues easily is akin to Maria Antionette's response to the same issues. It's not laziness that is keeping so many people from improving their position. Although perhaps it more convenient to see it that way.

When the price of bread is the price of a cigar, the complaints won't be resolved so "easily". The assumption that most people can resolve these issues easily is akin to Maria Antionette's response to the same issues. It's not laziness that is keeping so many people from improving their position. Although perhaps it more convenient to see it that way.
What the hell else are we supposed to do? Many of us heeded the warnings early and set back hundreds of pounds of tobaccos, while the rest laughed or gave excuses as to why they weren't going to build a cellar... with bravado.
Once prices go up, they will never come down, ever. Dream your stupid dreams, or finger point to politics, but ain't no one going to lower the price of tobacco or remove that tax.
It's not food, water, or a necessity. There is nothing essential about tobacco use.

And, Americans that see Europe and Canada, and have yet to start setting tobacco back... FOOLS! Don't give me the poor man shit. If you cannot afford $100 to set back 3lbs of bulk tobacco a month while it is the cheapest now it will ever be, then get ready. If you cannot afford that, then find a cheaper hobby. Because the tsunami wave is coming and we can see what it has done elsewhere.

I mean sure... poor people struggling with a tobacco hobby. What are we supposed to do? We've warned them, over, and over, and over... Don't expect us to cuddle you and give shoulders to cry on. Go to Telescopes for that BS. You've been warned. It just gets really old.

Canadians... sorry, you live where you live. Americans complaining about $18 tins of Capstan, ha ha ha ha . It's like people on city forums complaining about that one restaurant that is $50 a meal. The place wasn't made for you. No one wants you in there. Sorry... you don't like it, don't go there.

And, this from the guy who will help anyone. Hell, my truck is used to move things more for my neighbors than me. My family volunteers for all sorts of things, and we definitely give to funds to help those in real need. I just can't muster the tears for pipesmokers, when there are real families not able to find affordable housing or feed their kids. There are real struggles on this planet, and the price of pipe tobacco just doesn't yank my tears.

Davy

Can't Leave
Nov 22, 2022
I got an email this morning that Victory Pipes (in Canada) was having a SALE on Presbyterian Mixture - only $47.51 (US dollars) for a 50 gram tin. I checked it out on Cup O' Joes. They want $12.82 (US dollars) for the same amount. 4noggins was similar. Someone is getting screwed here. So far, I have only bought tobacco from the States. Customs hasn't noticed yet. 🤞
For having lived there 8 years, try prices in B.C.; but make sure you're sitting tight before you do. They're bloody outrageous!
That's why B.C. means: Bring Cash. rotf

• Haha
Reactions: Elric and Beowoulf
Apparently mocking people is a productive alternative.
Sometimes, the point has to be made.

When a kid falls and starts to cry, it is better to tell them wipe some dirt on it and get back in there. Or, else you reinforce the "poor me" mentality.

There isn't anything necessary about pipe smoking. I would never bawk at someone who is really hurt or in need.

I don’t how the US government can be opposed to tobacco products when so much of its budget is dependent on tobacco taxes.
The US budget is 5 trillion, and only 12 billion comes from tobacco taxes. That is .02%. I mean, 12 billion sounds like a lot to me also, but it is a mere fraction of the overall budget.