PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Hi folks, I've made a few Meerschaums in the past and have always used Carnauba wax to finish my Meerschaums with but the other day someone mentioned Bee's wax is the norm for Meerschaum finish. Can someone please clarify which is correct for me?
Thank you in advance
Chris

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Google says
Meerschaum pipes are colored in a process by which the beeswax that coats the pipe is heated and migrates away from the block of meerschaum. This leaves tar and other smoke particles to be absorbed into the meerschaum, which is an extremely porous and soft material.Oct 31, 2015

Paykoc says

Thank you for giving me something to do for 6 seconds on a boring day!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
My take is that every thing but the first coat of commercially applied wax to Meers is bull pucky.

This on the theory I espoused that the real reason they were ever waxed was to preserve their appearance in a market or shop, where grime from handling would be easy to remove.

Why not leave one unwaxed?

Last edited:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I believe, unbelievably, Google is wrong. My understanding is manufacturers use company specific wax blends. I've never had to replace the hard shell wax CAO used back when I accumulated my meers. Never wore it off, melted it off and so forth. It's a sort of "capillary" action which causes the blend residues to seep into the mineral which colors.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Just plain refined beeswax, yellow or white. Carvers only use it to prevent scratches on the material.
I don't think most folks know how easily meerschaum scratches. I picked up an SMS that list all of its wax coating. I went over it with a 12000 grit micro mesh pad and it shines like a diamond. Do you think I should rewax it?

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I don't think most folks know how easily meerschaum scratches. I picked up an SMS that list all of its wax coating. I went over it with a 12000 grit micro mesh pad and it shines like a diamond. Do you think I should rewax it?
I definitely would. I’ve done the same with a few old meers , and they all looked and smoked great after a rewax with yellow beeswax 👍

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I believe, unbelievably, Google is wrong. My understanding is manufacturers use company specific wax blends. I've never had to replace the hard shell wax CAO used back when I accumulated my meers. Never wore it off, melted it off and so forth. It's a sort of "capillary" action which causes the blend residues to seep into the mineral which colors.
I don't believe google as far as i could throw their campus, so that's why i checked what some of the carvers said. So we agree on that part.

Reactions: dunnyboy

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
That's interesting i have a few "beat pipe" meers that some amazing yet they are just beaters, payed around 20 a piece for them they are a little beat to shit, light scratches that have darkened, the usual stuff, i might try out some 12000 micro mesh on them just to see what effect it has, not like i will damage them or make them look worse.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
That's interesting i have a few "beat pipe" meers that some amazing yet they are just beaters, payed around 20 a piece for them they are a little beat to shit, light scratches that have darkened, the usual stuff, i might try out some 12000 micro mesh on them just to see what effect it has, not like i will damage them or make them look worse.
I picked this up for 30 bucks and it was greyish and felt rough like sandpaper. Wish I had the before pictures.20240527_205649.jpg20240527_205611.jpg

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I picked this up for 30 bucks and it was greyish and felt rough like sandpaper. Wish I had the before pictures.View attachment 323971View attachment 323972
It's just amazing how much they get for 12,000 grit .. i get it all their technical descriptions of the product and micro crystals that move and rotate while not disengaging from the cloth woven by virgins on the Mediterranean etc., oh well should be worth it lol

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
You mean you have to chase after a Whale and then give it a 'hand job' whilst trying to collect the jiz in 30 fathoms of water? Thats a bit strong!
nah the hardest part is finding a restaurant with a romantic ambiance that also serves large quantities of plankton. And if you even make a small joke about their weight, it's done.
Actually no it's this stuff that is in their head that really looks and smells like jizz. If you don't believe me, just find an antique oil lamp from when they used whale oil in lamps. Oh if you ever wondered why they called them sperm whales it's because of that stuff.
This was the best to use (from what I remember reading) but I believe it's illegal now.
Same here. And looking at some of the older meerschaums they do seem to have a shine that you just don't see on them these days. I don't know if the actual stuff is illegal explicitly or just practically. You know killing and harvesting whales is a big no no unless you're doing scientific research such as how Japan has this very long research project about how delicious whale meat actually is (never tried it, but I really hope it's super tasty and they're not killing them for something that tastes o.k.).

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
It's just amazing how much they get for 12,000 grit .. i get it all their technical descriptions of the product and micro crystals that move and rotate while not disengaging from the cloth woven by virgins on the Mediterranean etc., oh well should be worth it lol
Make sure you get micro mesh. I got 12000 grit sandpaper and it's not the same.

Reactions: dunnyboy and AJL67

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Ummm, thanks guys, I think. Let's just pretend for a moment that I actually was able to find, kill, and harvest a sperm whale. What the hell do I do with 300 lbs of sperm jelly?
OK, lot's of ideas here.
I just finished three meers with yellow bees wax. I'm color blind. I asked my wife her opinion and she asked, 'Why are they pink?"
Oh for fuck sake. :mad:
Maybe I'll just jerk off into a baggie and use that to coat my meers.