PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
I love my briar pipes don't get me wrong, but while smoking them I know eventually throughout the bowl I will need a pipe cleaner to eliminate moisture from the pipe. I love to smoke from my Cobs because the pipe stays dry no moisture what so ever, Just an enjoyable smoke. I find myself picking up my cobs to smoke more and more often through out the day, instead of one of my briars. Does this make me a pipe bumpkin? Would love to hear others thoughts on this.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
One of the very first advertisers to support this site was Missouri Meerschaum, the maker of Corn Cob Pipes, and they are still with us now.
I am glad to hear you enjoy their products. I have 4 corn cobs myself.

Reactions: midcentry

surfmac211

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I first bought a cob as a fishing pipe so if it gets wet I'm not worried because I only spent a few bucks. But I too found out they are an enjoyable smoke as well. I burnt one out but this other one I have has been a trooper. Even got it wet just gave it a mean cleaning and let it dried a couple a days and smokes like new. I personally wouldn't recommend dunking one in some water just to try though. Just curious though do yall allow cake to build up in yours. I personally kinda enjoy the sweetness of the cob taste so don't but a few of my buddies allow some cake build up.

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
I have had a little cake build up in mine, But I read an article somewhere that said you are not supposed to let a cake build up. It will eventually cause the walls of the pipe to crack. The article said to wipe the inside of the bowl after each smoke with a dry paper towel. If any cake does build up it is recommended to gently scrap it out with a pipe nail or a similar tool. This is the recommendation for the walls of the bowl. It is recommended to mix some dottle with spit to create pipe mud and allow this to harden in the bottom for the cobs that don't have a hardwood plug in the bottom. These are the recommendations I have read and followed with pretty good results so far. If anyone has different tips or recommendation on this topic I would like to hear them. I know that MM cobs are inexpensive but I would like them to last as long as possible.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
I have had mine for about 25 years now, and it's still smoking great. I just run a cleaner down through the stem when I'm finished. Then I twist it into a loop, and rum it up and down the sides of the bowl, just like i do with my briars. Hit it on the palm of my hand to get any remaining ash or flakes out, and I'm ready for the next bowl.

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
Yes sir, Phil that's the article I read. Couldn't remember where I had read it, doing alot of BSing on the computer lately. Thanks for the link.

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
I almost always try new blends in a cob, that hasn't been smoked in. You get the true flavor. I never smoke a cob over about 5 times. I am talking about the 5 dollar Missouri Meerschaum.

ghost45

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2010
I got my generals today. They are really good for smoking flakes in.

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
dunendain you should send them to phil and he could use them to build snowmen in his yard.

Status
Not open for further replies.