PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Where does a driverless car have to get to?

It's a taxi service. "Waymo".

I sure as hell will never use it. This story would have been better if there had been a terrified passenger trapped in the back seat when the cop pulled it over.

Last edited:

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
No Ticket and arrest !??? I believe the law says 'Operator' not "driver" ... The Operator should be arrested and DUI'd and have to go to court and have his license suspended like everyone else. Just my 2 cents on the steering wheel ! Far more dangerous than the guy driving around with the corpse in his car ... at least he was driving properly !

Reactions: brian64

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
AI will make life better for everyone!

Just this morning, for example, UPS delivered a box to my porch that was addressed to the correct house number but not my street.

No problem... give 'em a ring and the next time a UPS truck goes by they'll grab it and re-deliver to the right address, right?

Let's see...

1) it was literally impossible to talk to a human. (An excuse loop was activated every time the word "human" was mentioned, along with "manager", "person", "whoever is in charge", etc.)

2) The voicebot could not be made to understand the "delivered to the wrong address" situation. I tried at least twenty ways to phrase what had happened, and it was like talking to a brain-damaged three year old.

Around and around we went. After the first several attempts to explain the problem, I decided to keep trying just for the entertainment value of seeing how long it would take.

Nope. Nada. No way. It was impossible.

UPS's AI "customer service line" is absolute, total, complete, 100% useless junk garbage trash shit crap.

Either the execs who implemented it were on the take, or the people who wrote it got thrown an "equity bone".

There is no "C".

But don't despair... soon everything in society will be run by that shit. Because it's cheaper...

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011

Just this morning, for example, UPS delivered a box to my porch that was addressed to the correct house number but not my street.

No problem... give 'em a ring and the next time a UPS truck goes by they'll grab it and re-deliver to the right address, right?

Let's see...

1) it was literally impossible to talk to a human. (An excuse loop was activated every time the word "human" was mentioned, along with "manager", "person", "whoever is in charge", etc.)

2) The voicebot could not be made to understand the "delivered to the wrong address" situation. I tried at least twenty ways to phrase what had happened, and it was like talking to a brain-damaged three year old.

Around and around we went. After the first several attempts to explain the problem, I decided to keep trying just for the entertainment value of seeing how long it would take.

UPS's AI "customer service line" is absolute, total, complete, 100% useless junk garbage trash shit crap.

Either the execs who implemented it were on the take, or the people who wrote it got thrown an "equity bone".

There is no "C".

But don't despair... soon everything in society will be run by that shit. Because it's cheaper...

I absolutely refuse to talk to "AI".

When trapped in one of those phone systems, I just keep hitting the 0 key over and over and over and over until it finally connects me with a human. So far it's worked every time I've tried it.

tanless1

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 14, 2010

Let's see...

There is no "C".

Soooooooo....what was in the box?

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
No Ticket and arrest !??? I believe the law says 'Operator' not "driver" ... The Operator should be arrested and DUI'd and have to go to court and have his license suspended like everyone else. Just my 2 cents on the steering wheel ! Far more dangerous than the guy driving around with the corpse in his car ... at least he was driving properly !

As I understand it (could be wrong) but I don't think there is any "operator". No one is actually operating it remotely. I doubt if it's even being monitored in real time (not sure though). It's supposedly "autonomous".

BingBong

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
This sort of thing will lead to WWIII, I'm sure. Russian pilots have already flipped a US drone into the Black Sea - had there been a pilot to communicate with, I'm sure the Russians would have made the appropriate hand signals to bugger off, rather than wreck the thing. It will not end well.

• Haha
Reactions: JOHN72 and brian64

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
So having dealt with some very large companies and working on customer service systems, the short answer is, someone will say they didn't get the package, the company will look it up and (with most) have the delivery company check the GPS and see it was the incorrect street, at this point they will set up a "door knock" which is sending a driver out to knock on your door and ask about the package, up to you if you give it to them or say you never saw it someone must have stolen it off your porch / whatever, then UPS will handle it with the company that shipped the package and the original purchaser will get a new shipment or refund. Nike has to 100s of "door knock" claims with shippers every single day. Shipping companies fuck up way more than you can imagine.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
As I understand it (could be wrong) but I don't think there is any "operator". No one is actually operating it remotely. I doubt if it's even being monitored in real time (not sure though). It's supposedly "autonomous".
Then, to whom was the Police Officer speaking ? If just a video recording then the person reviewing it for the company should be arrested along with the company President.

I'm sorry if I'm angered but coming home tonight I was at a 4 way stop with lights, an elderly gentleman with a limp was crossing the road on the other side from me with the appropriate light but it turned green as he was halfway across and two separate drivers honked at him and one refused to stop. The law in Ct is that if someone merely steps off the curb you must stop until they are across the road. Pedestrians always have right of way no matter what color the lights. No one needs to hurry that much that you hit pedestrians. I am sick to death of certain people who think the world exists solely for their convenience. You all know the type.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Then, to whom was the Police Officer speaking ?

I can only surmise that in the event one of their cars is pulled over by a cop, the computer automatically connects to a customer service rep. That's why you heard the "this call may be recorded" line in there.

That's my impression anyway, of what was going on. Those cars are supposedly completely autonomous...but again, I can't say I know for sure how it all works.

Reactions: Hillcrest

Fuelman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2024
Indiana
It's a taxi service. "Waymo".

I sure as hell will never use it. This story would have been better if there had been a terrified passenger trapped in the back seat when the cop pulled it over.

They should call it Whamo

• Haha