PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I picked up a couple of estate pipes two weeks ago that had definitely seen better days. The Savinelli was in better shape but the Comoy was beat to hell and gone.
Here's the Savinelli - a bent Dublin that might be a little Zulu and/or Yachtsman.
SavA.jpg

It was very dirty and had a lovely buildup of caked on saliva.
The Comoy was in brutal shape. The rim of the bowl was badly bruised and the stain was gone in a hit and miss fashion. Plus, I don't think the previous owner had ever run a pipe cleaner through the stem. The stuff that came out of that lovely gray swirled acrylic stem was a stomach churner.
CB.jpg

Thanks to some coaching from Al and Nic I started work on the Comoy and carefully sanded the Comoy rim. I didn't go as low as I wanted because it would've substantially changed the bowl height. My primary concern was changing the integrity of the bowl.
CSand.jpg

Next, both bowls got an 18 hour bath in medical alcohol that stripped off most of the finish. Here's the end result.
Both.jpg

With everything cleaned off I was able to make out that the Comoy was a Silver Cloud Model 788.
I sanded here and there, scrubbed this and that and reamed out both bowls. I started out with a diluted stain of Fiebings Light Brown and it really looked like hell. I finished the staining going full strength with the Light Brown and have, so far, applied two coats of Halcyon II.
Here's the Comoy:
CFin.jpg

And here's the Sav:
Sav2.jpg

And the two together:
2Finished.jpg

Both stems were very loose and a little beeswax from Beewrangler did wonders on the Sav, but the Comoy will still need a couple of bowls smoked through it. Also, the Comoy rim will never be attractive but that was my big compromise with this patch-up job.
Cheers.
Fnord

cajundad

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2012
Louisiana
Great job , 100% better than before . Now on to smoking them . P.S. , If those beauty's are for smoking , the rim's need not be so attractive . :clap:

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
I agree with everyone, great job!!!. And that rim wont hurt anything as far as that baby smoking well. Congrats on a well done job.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Great job on both of them! Don't get to beat up on the rim - it adds character to the pipe! And by the way your Zulu is awesome! Super nice shape and grain!

Status
Not open for further replies.