PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
I'm an obsessive-compulsive ?

Instead of enjoying the moment and smoke, I'd be stressing over whether the shank was colouring more than the bowl, whether it was surface wax or inspissated tars, should I be wearing a pair of white gloves or if I should dissect the pipe a la @Chasing Embers to check on the process ?

Information overload ! Information overload ! ?
???????

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
My poor brain is reeling from this vigorous debate.

It has reinforced my decision to stick wit pre-coloured meers - either a well-patina-ed one from a century of smoking or an ox-blood or pre-coloured Tanganyikan ones. ?
I’m just going to use cra-yons on mine, i figure color the bowl while it’s hot and and I’ll have a whole rainbow of colors! Edit: Seems I’ve found a magic word.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
OK I am going to have breakfast whilst I think about this whole topic. In the final analysis Duane is right and it is demonstrated by most if not all of my ancient pipes. However I am not going to cut one in half to prove Duane is correct. I have a cunning plan .......
It was interesting for about 4 minutes and then i was over it, when it happens it happens and there will be bands and boat parades, hardly worth bickering and re-clarifying it things already clarified to try and prove a point that in the end is opinion. They being said I’m going to enjoy a nice pipe which may or may not be meerschaum while watching this one little asshole adolescent squirrel try to keep the other squirrels away from the big bowl of peanuts.

and no i won’t be cutting him in half

1EEC7C37-8901-4B5D-ADE2-943A0EC3F252.jpeg

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
OK I am going to have breakfast whilst I think about this whole topic. In the final analysis Duane is right and it is demonstrated by most if not all of my ancient pipes. However I am not going to cut one in half to prove Duane is correct. I have a cunning plan .......
Please don't cut open one of your ancient pipes to try to prove a point. Not sure what the proof would entail anyway. How an ancient meer looks now doesn't prove how a new, virgin meer begins to color. I'm not connecting the dots on that claim.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I just enjoy my morning coffee and thinking how interesting this forum is...In some threads people are trying to save a guy's 8$ corn cob which finally broke down after a decade of smoking and in other threads people are cutting theirs 300$ meers in half to check the coloring ...How colorful life can be....
Confusing ain't it???

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Seems a bit obvious the heel and shank experience the deep coloring first due to that being the area where moisture would gather. It also seems obvious the deep coloring isn't the result of heat or the bowl would color first and darkest. I would speculate the cake in the bowl inhibits the moisture leeching through the walls.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I just enjoy my morning coffee and thinking how interesting this forum is...In some threads people are trying to save a guy's 8$ corn cob which finally broke down after a decade of smoking and in other threads people are cutting theirs 300$ meers in half to check the coloring ...How colorful life can be....
For some, meers are their cobs. MM fell out of favor with me some time back and I replaced all of my cobs with meerschaum. Even commissioned an IMP to replace my reverse calabash.

20200503_111727.jpg20220530_135304.jpg

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
  • Wow
Reactions: condorlover1