PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

isaac

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 18, 2012
Portland, OR
Loving the brown and yellow meer finishes when new. It had me thinking I’m not sure I have seen these same pipes with good coloring. Does anyone have examples? Perhaps a before and after?

Reactions: drayve85

drayve85

Starting to Get Obsessed
I have been wondering this, also. There’s been a few many times that I liked the pipe, but passed on it because it was “pre-colored” in that deep yellow color, because I wasn’t sure it would color very much, if at all.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
African (Tanganyikan) meerschaum is denser than the Turkish variety and less porous.
It does colour but at a much slower rate.

It also has more impurities and is rarely a pristine white, hence they are usually pre-coloured to "improve" their appearance

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
African (Tanganyikan) meerschaum is denser than the Turkish variety and less porous.
It does colour but at a much slower rate.

It also has more impurities and is rarely a pristine white, hence they are usually pre-coloured to "improve" their appearance
He's referring to the yellow and gold waxed meers.

I've smoked this one quite a bit with zero color change.

20220918_191906.jpg

drayve85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Maybe there is a feeling that anything but pristine white is "impure" and unacceptable
I think the green mottling is interesting and rather like it.
Perhaps if there is a demand, they will make them to test the market
Yeah, I believe one of the grading systems the Turks use is the whiteness of the stone, purer white, the higher the grade. But, if the smoking qualities an d the ability to carve is the same as the pure white, I would love to see a pipe carved out of that green meerschaum!😍 I’m with warren, I won’t buy a meer that is anything but pure white, because a major selling point for meer to me is the way they color. Although, I would have a hard time not picking up that pirate skeleton that embers has.lol the farthest I’ll go is the color of my latest PAD buy. An Altinay that is just a lil off white. I don’t know if they used unbleached wax or what, but I couldn’t pass it up either way!!

Reactions: kcghost and OzPiper

Said.ALTINAY

Might Stick Around
I'm still wanting to see one carved from green meerschaum.

View attachment 179244
Hello @Chasing Embers
Unfortunately you wouldn't see it.(Unless someone makes a green-painted pipe:))
Because meerschaum is only in white and cream tones.,
What you see is a raw meerschaum, the surface of which has not been fully cleaned after mining and perhaps has some moss.
Sorry for the disappointment.

Reactions: drayve85 and paulfg

Said.ALTINAY

Might Stick Around
Unfortunately you still won't have a green meerschaum pipe :).
Thanks for your reply so this made me realize that my explanation was insufficient.
Attached photo of two RAW(wet) meerschaum block. As you can see; one of them white - whitish and the other one greenish. You are right so far.
But when these blocks dry they will both be white or whitish as indistinguishable from each other.

Attachments

• ALTINAY_0171.jpg
    ALTINAY_0171.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: yanoJL and drayve85

drayve85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Unfortunately you still won't have a green meerschaum pipe :).
Thanks for your reply so this made me realize that my explanation was insufficient.
Attached photo of two RAW(wet) meerschaum block. As you can see; one of them white - whitish and the other one greenish. You are right so far.
But when these blocks dry they will both be white or whitish as indistinguishable from each other.
That color makes me think of key lime pie, and I want to eat it!!lol