Coloring of Merschaum Filter After Smoking?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

epazikas

Might Stick Around
Mar 20, 2024
Mölndal, Sweden
Hi all, I normally use a Merschaum filter on my pipes, but for some reason it is not altering its color after smoking, in fact it looks like new from the box. I am aware that the yellow tone depends of the nicotine one smokes, in my case I use a low nicotine tobacco, but still, shouldn’t it get yellowish or brown?
Thanks for your comments, Ed

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Pressed meer? Never used a meerschaum filter (never heard of one in fact) so, that's all I can think of. The coloring comes the blend's liquid residues soaking into the natural "pores" in the meerschaum. But, not African meer or manufactured meer.

epazikas

Might Stick Around
Mar 20, 2024
Mölndal, Sweden
How many smokes have you put through that?

The chambers of my meerschaum pipes stay bone white for about 10 smokes. Nothing sticks to it at first.
I am referring to Meerschaum 9 mm filters. I use the White Elephant brand and I replace the filter after every smoke, but still, doesn’t the nicotine make it yellowish or brown?

epazikas

Might Stick Around
Mar 20, 2024
Mölndal, Sweden
I am planning to get a commission made to take a filter, was told by the carver that meerschaum filters don’t mute the flavor, and work really nice.

I was wondering before how you tell when you toss them out, I just thought when the blend tasted off. 🤔

I plan to get some from White Elephant
I can confirm that Merschaum filters doesn’t alter the taste of your tobacco, at least not for me…

Reactions: PipeIT

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I can confirm that Merschaum filters doesn’t alter the taste of your tobacco, at least not for me…

I’ve never used a filtered pipe, but now the roof of my mouth is getting easily irritated, and the carver I’m getting a pipe made, said he has a client with the same issue, that he made several filtered pipes to use meerschaum filters, and says it really helped his client so much, he had 6 pipes made.

So I’m really excited and looking forward to this, because this year has really been a downer over this, and I’ve hardly smoked a pipe all year.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Ok after reading this a couple times... and figuring out he wasn't talking about the filter coloring, or maybe he was, but i'll ignore that.

Meerschaum pipes don't color on a schedule, some color faster than others.

Most if not all meerschaum pipes i have seen color start coloring at the shank, the shank is before the filter so the filter would have no known effect on that part of the pipe coloring. So the filter, no matter what type should have an effect on the pipe coloring.

Also depending on how wet and goopy your tobacco is a filter can last more than one bowl, if anything you can take it out and set it down and let it try out and rotate a couple filters that way. I like some briar with filters but never saw the point smoking a Meerschaum pipe as it smokes naturally dry making the filter just an added cost with little ROI. I just run a pipe cleaner through the stem now and then, and yes i reuse those a few times as well.

Reactions: epazikas

epazikas

Might Stick Around
Mar 20, 2024
Mölndal, Sweden
I’ve never used a filtered pipe, but now the roof of my mouth is getting easily irritated, and the carver I’m getting a pipe made, said he has a client with the same issue, that he made several filtered pipes to use meerschaum filters, and says it really helped his client so much, he had 6 pipes made.

So I’m really excited and looking forward to this, because this year has really been a downer over this, and I’ve hardly smoked a pipe all year.
Health comes first my friend. Although pipe smoking helps in relaxing and getting out of stress, I would recommend us to take some precautions and these Merschaum White Elephant filters makes a difference. I recommend one change per smoke, although as I said, after one smoke you barely see any coloration on the filter.