PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I just ran across this today, an amazing collection of Estate pipe makers.

This is a must read through for pipe lovers, especially the lover of old Estates!

Enjoy! ❤️

P.S. I’m not sure if anyone has ever posted this site before... hmm ?

We should also snag up all that info/photos and post it on Pipesmagazine in case that site ever goes off line, so we have all of this archived here. ;)

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Additional sites for hallmarks.

Last edited:

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
While on the subject of Estates, please put up links on any Hallmark sites you know of! Thanks ?

Here are some more Hallmark links;

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I assumed these were already known. Shows how deep in the weeds I am.

Here’s a helpful note.

Birmingham - sideways anchor, pre-1900 Upright anchor, 1900 and beyond.

Also pay close attention to the shape of Hallmark. Especially the area surrounding the date stamp. Is it round, is it a form of rectangle, does it have scroll indents or whatever they call it.

Sometimes handling almost eradicates the Hallmark. Shapes are really critical then.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Just saw this, not sure how factual it is.
—————————-
In the late 18th Century Birmingham was becoming an important manufacturer of silverware, but had to send all its good to Chester for Assay, Mathew Boulton one of the leading manufacturers of silverware claimed he was suffering from the predations of highwaymen and careless handing in Chester and petitioned Parliament for an Assay Office in Birmingham (Boutons private records show no mention of problems with the Chester Assay office and it is assumed he just didnt want Chester silversmith copying his designs

To bolster his petition in Parliament he allied with silversmiths in Sheffield who also wanted a local Assay office, despite the resistance from the London Guilds Boulton got his assay office as did Sheffiled

It is claimed that who had what Assay Mark was decided in the Crown and Anchor Tavern in the Strand London where much business was transacted, a toss of the coin decided that Sheffield got the Crown whilst Birmingham got the Anchor…..

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I assumed these were already known. Shows how deep in the weeds I am.

Here’s a helpful note.

Birmingham - sideways anchor, pre-1900 Upright anchor, 1900 and beyond.

Also pay close attention to the shape of Hallmark. Especially the area surrounding the date stamp. Is it round, is it a form of rectangle, does it have scroll indents or whatever they call it.

Sometimes handling almost eradicates the Hallmark. Shapes are really critical then.

This info shows pre 1900s with upright Anchors.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
One more thing about the sideways anchor. I was constantly banging my head against the wall trying to date Birmingham pipes.

Another Forum member with an extremely good knowledge of hallmarks and standards posted that “pro tip” and it all fell in line.

I have roughly 40 pipes from the 1800’s and Birmingham hallmarks are roughly 35 of them.

If you don’t use the sideways anchor the first thing you run into is weird construction. Why are pipes from the 40’s and 50’s using Orific Bits and Bone Tenons AND are BBB’s?

I can tell you from the pipes in my hands, I’m a subset of one, BBB stopped using bone tenons and Orific bits in the late teens and early 20’s.

A vertical anchor doesn’t fit the date letter for that construction.

A horizontal date letter squares right up.

If you would like pictures I’ll happily show the differences.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
@PipeIT post the pic of what I think is a pipe from 1918 with the horizontal anchor.

I was reading on some silver research forums and one of things mentioned about a sideways anchor was that it was used on smaller pieces, so if one was copied to fraudulently mark a larger item of “silver”, you would know it wasn’t legit. All conjecture, but an interesting idea

Reactions: PipeIT

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
@PipeIT post the pic of what I think is a pipe from 1918 with the horizontal anchor.

I was reading on some silver research forums and one of things mentioned about a sideways anchor was that it was used on smaller pieces, so if one was copied to fraudulently mark a larger item of “silver”, you would know it wasn’t legit. All conjecture, but an interesting idea

The hallmark letter looks like an L because there’s a line at the bottom, going to the right.

I guess the abbreviations of the maker is E. J. D.

If it’s a D on the end, the left side is open... hmm ?

BA6BD68B-7B47-463D-A777-A7A515833630.jpeg

Reactions: Ahi Ka

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Thanks bro. It’s a good example of how dating comes from reading the whole band. To my eyes, the date letter still looks like the “t” for Birmingham 1918, but knowing how random a ww1 piece would be for Okley, Tim’s tip about the sideways anchor, and even the cartouche shape of the anchor, I can accept that my first look was about 20-25 years off

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Ahh yes, a t, like these small t we are typing here, with a foot at the bottom, that goes slightly to the right, plus you can see a horizontal line crossing it at the top.

Good catch mate... :)

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
what confused with me, and maybe its not actually an issue at all…but when I look at the date stamp for 1893, the “t” is in a circle not the rectangle with its edges cut off.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
On the subject of English hallmarks one indispensable source more comprehensive and authoritative than anything online is John Culme’s two volume magnum opus The Directory of Gold & Silversmiths - Jewellers & Allied Trades 1838-1914. A little dated but still the best single source by far that I know of. It’s pricey, but a few libraries have it and used copies pop up on eBay.

Reactions: Ahi Ka and PipeIT