PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like the heft and durability of briar pipes, which can be a life-long investment if you keep track of them and maintain them well, in most cases. Especially if you have a rotation of a dozen pipes, or more, or many more.

But I also savor my cobs a lot, so light weight, so long lasting in their own right. I wouldn't willingly do without them. And my one mere provides an incomparable clarity of flavor I wouldn't want to miss.

But briar is my first rank, for the tradition and shear durability.

Hudsona14

Lurker
Oct 30, 2022
Palestine TX
Both have their places. I use cob for codger blends. Briar for all the others. Might smoke burley in tins in briar. Still have good number of years before I get there.
Still haven't tried different blends just some cheap tobacco from the shop in town which doesn't cater to the pipe community. Honestly bought pipes and didn't think of different tobaccos. Sadly.

Hudsona14

Lurker
Oct 30, 2022
Palestine TX
I like the heft and durability of briar pipes, which can be a life-long investment if you keep track of them and maintain them well, in most cases. Especially if you have a rotation of a dozen pipes, or more, or many more.

But I also savor my cobs a lot, so light weight, so long lasting in their own right. I wouldn't willingly do without them. And my one mere provides an incomparable clarity of flavor I wouldn't want to miss.

But briar is my first rank, for the tradition and shear durability.
I like your thoughts on traditional pipes.

Reactions: UB 40

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
I find the natural sweetness of a corncob to pair well with aromatic blends. Aros tend to be a bit messier than others, and if I'm going to foul up a pipe, I'd prefer it be one that costs less than $30. So, for me at least, I like keeping a few cobs around for aros and the occasional codger blend.

That being said, I don't view my cobs as disposable; they are excellent smoking instruments provided you invest in one with a good stem. I also don't feel the need to be as particular when it comes to their cleaning and maintenance, so they are nice when I'm feeling particularly lazy. But I do prefer briars. They are more durable, more aesthetically pleasing*, and just have greater variety in how they are shaped, produced, finished, etc.

*However, I've seen some fancy cobs as of late. The online DIY communities that have sprung up have produced some mightily fine looking cobs that do catch my eye. And, my inner Appalachian does like the looks of cobs, truly. I just like Briars more.

Chaukisch

Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
I'm a fan of clay or ceramic, not that I dislike cob or briar.
It's the dandelion of pipes while briar is a rose. A dandelion will grow comfortably between some crack in the stone while a rose will piss itself over a pine needle in the soil. You can smoke a clay every which way you want, no matter if you like sips or long hot draws. And the taste will always be true. Also affordable for any bum.

Hudsona14

Lurker
Oct 30, 2022
Palestine TX
I find the natural sweetness of a corncob to pair well with aromatic blends. Aros tend to be a bit messier than others, and if I'm going to foul up a pipe, I'd prefer it be one that costs less than $30. So, for me at least, I like keeping a few cobs around for aros and the occasional codger blend.

That being said, I don't view my cobs as disposable; they are excellent smoking instruments provided you invest in one with a good stem. I also don't feel the need to be as particular when it comes to their cleaning and maintenance, so they are nice when I'm feeling particularly lazy. But I do prefer briars. They are more durable, more aesthetically pleasing*, and just have greater variety in how they are shaped, produced, finished, etc.

*However, I've seen some fancy cobs as of late. The online DIY communities that have sprung up have produced some mightily fine looking cobs that do catch my eye. And, my inner Appalachian does like the looks of cobs, truly. I just like Briars more.
I find most all pipes are aesthetically pleasing.

Reactions: K.E. Powell

Hudsona14

Lurker
Oct 30, 2022
Palestine TX
I'm a fan of clay or ceramic, not that I dislike cob or briar.
It's the dandelion of pipes while briar is a rose. A dandelion will grow comfortably between some crack in the stone while a rose will piss itself over a pine needle in the soil. You can smoke a clay every which way you want, no matter if you like sips or long hot draws. And the taste will always be true. Also affordable for any bum.
I am looking at some clay ones as well. Like the idea of different types and materials.

Chaukisch

Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
I am looking at some clay ones as well. Like the idea of different types and materials.
So far I have briar, cob and clay. There's a difference in taste between each material, the clay of course bringing no own taste to the field. It'll be the same for Meerschaum pipes I figure, no own taste.
The taste of a briar or cob however can elevate a blend that lacks a certain personality.
Many people say that a corn cob pipe becomes equally tasteless after a few smokes but I can't concur.
I consider my sense of palate to be garbage, especially compared to some of the users here but even I taste a difference with cobs.

Go on and get them, taste yourself. Briar and Meerschaum pipes will be the most expensive ones but cob and clay are for everyone and easily affordable. Even antique clay pipes from the 1880's go pretty damn cheap. Waiting for you.

ARTOPUT

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2022
Bonners Ferry, Idaho
Funny this came up today. I just bought my first cob and smoking a bowl of captain black in it now. Very pleasant for sure. I did not want to smoke aros in my briar pipes. I just got the gentlemen one and seems to fit my need to test some aros out. I tend to like 306 English orientals in the briars and did not want to pollute their taste of them.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
SMOKE WHAT YOU ENJOY!

I’m not qualified to speak about cobs, never tried one, but some wonderful people on here love them. I love my briars but recently took the dive into a new Meer and still waiting for some word on the old one I sent to Briarville. Love the Meer. I guess the word of the day is 😍.

ARTOPUT

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2022
Bonners Ferry, Idaho
Oh I did make a mistake in the purchase of my cob. I did not check the pipe to see if it was filtered and when I got home found out it was and had no filters for it. Wish, the store clerk had pointed that out to me. Might try a pipe cleaner cut to slide in there. Anyone try that or advise against it?

Brewfan

Jul 5, 2021
Louisville, KY, USA
For the most part, I reserve my cobs for lawnmowing or kayaking or some such activity. I prefer the heft and feel of briar. That said, a cob seems to give a good virginia a flavor boost for me, something like 507C or Newminster 400 in a cob is a delight. Comes across sweeter to me than when in briar or meer.