PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
Was excited to crab a legend cob from MM to smoke St Bruno out of. Man that cob adds some flavor! But, I dont want it to. Another cob, which was not finished/smooth did not put off that much flavor. So my question is, does that flavor go away eventually? Do some cobs give off more flavor than others? A bit disappointing actually but a good experience none the less.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Was excited to crab a legend cob from MM to smoke St Bruno out of. Man that cob adds some flavor! But, I dont want it to. Another cob, which was not finished/smooth did not put off that much flavor. So my question is, does that flavor go away eventually? Do some cobs give off more flavor than others? A bit disappointing actually but a good experience none the less.
I generally don’t get any cob flavor after the first bowl or three.

NookersTheCat

Lurker
Sep 10, 2020
Good info on the replies. It really does go away quick but I'll tell ya what though... I actually miss that flavor after it does. I think alot of it has to do with one of the main reasons I got into piping in the first place.. nostalgia. My first pipe was a MM Washington and I'll never forget that new cob flavor from my first smoke... with Middleton's Cherry, my Grandpa's favorite blend. Oh well, I guess that means I'll just have to keep buying a bunch of new cobs, LOL!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
True, the cob flavor soon passes. Some cobs don't seem to have much at all. I like the standard cobs, but after some years of smoking them, and replacing the stems, I've taken a liking to the pipes that come with an acrylic stem, the special editions. They now cost around $25, but last for years. The regular pipe last for years but require replacement stems for most smokers.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I guess this is as good a place as any to post my first reply. A good friend provided tobacco, a old pipe holder, a pipe tool, and four pipes from his collection as a house warming. Since then, I've tried to read about pipe smoking. I had a collection of pipes decades ago, but over time stopped using them.

Having been able to stop chewing tobacco after a 25 year addiction in 1995, I admit to being respectful of tobacco problems for some folks. That said, since the house warmer, I have acquired two MM cob pipes, a Carolina Gent and a Freehand. Both are finished in a dark stain.

To address the OP, I never noticed a cob taste. For me, the cobs are a lot of fun to use. I have found a local pipe shop who blends. I wanted to try Lakatia and he had a blend is suggested. I find I like the taste or I think I do since I have nothing else from which to compare.

Anyway, I only smoke on the weekends in my Alabama home and have been enjoying learning to sip and taste the tobacco. I suppose it is like learning to appreciate a good coffee bean or beer.

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
I notice very much the cob taste. I notice too the stuff they put on cobs--the varnish or whatever it is, the glue, the paste they use sometimes to fill up the hole in the bottom...

And i find that it takes a looooong time for a cob to start tasting "right"--many months of regular smoking. And I have one cob--a morgan, raw or unfinished--that never tastes right. It always gives an acidic twang to the smoke, also a "raw" taste, especially for the first part of the bowl. I keep smoking it, hoping it will improve, but it seems to absorb the tars slower than my other cobs have. I may just give up on it, which would be a shame, I've already "invested" so many smokes in it, hoping to get it right.

For me, the best cobs are the ones I have smoked until they turn deep gold color, and have a nice layer of cake. I think they taste best when I give 'em a good rest between smokes, too. This is to say, they seem to taste best about the time they become as much tobacco residue as cob, wood, and glue. My old cobs actually seem heavier, from saturation, than the new, though i have not put them on a scale to compare.

Reactions: Grangerous