PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Use hard red nail varnish. Measure one inch from the tip and then wrap some masking tape around the stem. Paint the mouthpiece with hard finish nail varnish or something a bit sparkly if you are that way inclined. Let it set hard over night. Remove the tape and voila you have a perfect non stick mouthpiece. This will save you from developing lip cancer which was common with 19th century clay pipe smokers due to the constant tearing of the lips skin from adhering to porous clay pipes. Victorian clays usually had glazed mouthpieces and all clays made by Pollocks of Manchester had glazed red or yellow or green tips. Some 19th century manufacturers varnished their pipes mouthpieces with an off red varnish. I came across a few originals when I renovated my 19th century cottage in the U.K back in the early 1990s that had slipped between the wall and the skirting boards that had this type of finish.

camaguey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 25, 2021
west indies
Wax. Like the one who covers the cheese. Usually red or green. Some old english clay where available with this cover. I bought a couple about 30 years ago i guess that in McCranies already waxed on the tip. Or maybe you can remove the cover of the gouda cheese and after cleaning you may apply with the help of some heat.