PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
I have several meerschaum pipes from the same carver. Three of the pipes have stems in which the tenons are identical. And one of those stems is perfect for me. And because the tenons match, I find myself using the one "perfect for me" stem for 3 different pipes.

So I'm wondering if it would be possible to send one pipe somewhere (not sure where, exactly) and get 2 clones made from the original stem I send. I could send the whole pipe, stummel and stem. I'm in the US and I'd prefer a US source to avoid shipping to/from Turkey if possible.

Thoughts?

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
What exactly is it you like about the one stem as opposed to the other two? Copying a stem isn't terribly difficult for a competent repairman. Do you have a picture of the stems in question? Copying a meerschaum stem is a little harder if they don't have the right taps to install the proper tenon. The other thing to consider when talking about meerschaum stems is that a lot of modern Turkish meer stems are vinyl, vinyl stem material as all but impossible to get in the US. So you'll probably be looking at acrylic replacements.

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
What exactly is it you like about the one stem as opposed to the other two? Copying a stem isn't terribly difficult for a competent repairman. Do you have a picture of the stems in question? Copying a meerschaum stem is a little harder if they don't have the right taps to install the proper tenon. The other thing to consider when talking about meerschaum stems is that a lot of modern Turkish meer stems are vinyl, vinyl stem material as all but impossible to get in the US. So you'll probably be looking at acrylic replacements.
It's the shape of the stem that I love. I believe it is acrylic/teflon

20240229_065933.jpg20240229_070151.jpg20240229_065947.jpg