PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Saturday I went to a local flea market and picked up an Old England pipe which made by Sasieni I believe, in a bulldog style. I began my first try at cleaning up a used pipe and it seems my stem is clogged up, pretty tightly, too. I can't get a pipe cleaner down it from either end more than maybe an inch. The mouth piece end is very small and the shank end is pretty decent sized but I've not been able to get the pick of my pipe tool in either, on the shank end. I need some help/suggestions. It's soaking in an oxyclean solution now, in hopes of loosening up the clog.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
A retort will prob be the only thing to clean it. You can send it to me and ill clean it. Pm if interested. No charge

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
The oxi-clean should help...I had one that took 2 1/2 hours to fully clear out..Try some small stiff wire or even a safety pin and just inch your way through occasionally running it under HOT water so it goes inside then continue poking,twisting and scooping.It doesn't hurt to work with or in the oxi-clean as long as it's still active.Hope that helps.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I spent over an hour, not including soak time, slowly working at it with various small tools and final got through. It was a joyous moment when I could see light at the end of the stem! I finally got pipe cleaners, that I had to shave down, in and that really got it opened up. I soaked it again overnight and got it all cleaned out this morning.
I appreciate all the advice, and especially the offer to retort it. I wish I'd waited till morning and seen these replies before I forged ahead. I never even thought of a paper clip, but I should've! I'd have taken up the kind offer of shaintiques to retort it, though, if I'd only waited, to be perfectly honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.