PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia
Anyone have any idea where I can find clear bits? Hate having a black mouthpiece on a beautifully colored stem. Thanks.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I'm not sure if anyone makes them specifically for pipes but you can always just cut pieces of clear silicone rubber tubing and make your own. 9mm is the standard size of softies, that fits most pipes. Thin wall 9mm clear tubing should be about the same.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains

Pipeh

Might Stick Around
Feb 28, 2023
Southern California
I purchased both sizes of these- they're ok.

What I don't like about them is that, as silicone rubber bits, they don't stick (semi-adhere) to the stem, like the natural rubber soft-bits will do.

One thing you might try is to get some latex tubing (yellow surgical tubing) and cut a section of that.

One thing I would personally try to avoid using was any kind of clear plastic tubing that had a smell to it, because these are things that will spend a lot of time in your mouth, and I don't know enough about chemistry and biology to know whether the plasticizers used will hurt you or not.

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia
I purchased both sizes of these- they're ok.

What I don't like about them is that, as silicone rubber bits, they don't stick (semi-adhere) to the stem, like the natural rubber soft-bits will do.

One thing you might try is to get some latex tubing (yellow surgical tubing) and cut a section of that.

One thing I would personally try to avoid using was any kind of clear plastic tubing that had a smell to it, because these are things that will spend a lot of time in your mouth, and I don't know enough about chemistry and biology to know whether the plasticizers used will hurt you or not.
Thank you.

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
There’s always clear bandage tape, which was the subject of a memorable thread here a few years ago. It works pretty well, and you can control (pun intended) how thick you want it (pun intended).

No judgment

• Haha
Reactions: EvertonFC and mingc

hyperstar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2022
Formosa, Taiwan
Is "bandage" a safe word of some kind?🪢

Yes. I used "stretch first aid tape" before, they did a great job.
But, there would be glue residue remaining on the pipe stem. You will have to use sticker remover to clean it.

I used plastic wrap once. I felt that the plastic wrap would release toxins, so I didn't continue to use it.

Reactions: mingc

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Yes. I used "stretch first aid tape" before, they did a great job.
But, there would be glue residue remaining on the pipe stem. You will have to use sticker remover to clean it.

I used plastic wrap once. I felt that the plastic wrap would release toxins, so I didn't continue to use it.
That was a typo, I meant friction tape marketed as “bondage tape”. No glue, it just a sticks to itself. Again, pun intended

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia
There’s always clear bandage tape, which was the subject of a memorable thread here a few years ago. It works pretty well, and you can control (pun intended) how thick you want it (pun intended).

No judgment
That makes sense.

Given the growing popularity of colorful, non-black pipe stems, I'm surprised no one is really making translucent bits.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I use them for my meerschaum pipes, as most of them have yellow stems, and a black softy bit looks stupid on them. I found the clear softy bits on ebay years ago. The vendor was out of China, but it only took about two weeks for them to arrive. They're no different than the standard black softy bits only clear. ;)

Reactions: huckleberry

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia
I use them for my meerschaum pipes, as most of them have yellow stems, and a black softy bit looks stupid on them. I found the clear softy bits on ebay years ago. The vendor was out of China, but it only took about two weeks for them to arrive. They're no different than the standard black softy bits only clear. ;)
Thanks for that. More importantly, what sort of metal do you listen to? 🤘

Pipercat

Lurker
Aug 14, 2023
I bought food grade silicone tubing off Amazon. Just cut to length. Works ok. The feel is more resistant than rubber, and the edge is sharp where you cut it, not enough to cut you, just a bit annoying. I guess you could wet sand it, but wasn't annoying enough to bother.

Overall works well, just not as comfortable as a rubber bit.

3/8" ID Silicon Tubing, JoyTube Food Grade Silicon Tubing 3/8" ID x 1/2" OD 3 Feet High Temp Pure Silicone Hose Tube for Home Brewing Winemaking https://a.co/d/03NS4uSf