Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I have seen coffee mentioned as a way of cleaning tar from the rim of a pipe.My question is if you use it on a light coloured pipe does it leave a dark stain?
i have an Ashton Oldchurch coming that looks to have a lot of tar or char on the rim and i am looking for suggestions for cleaning
s-l1600 (7).jpg

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Rim tar? The pipe worlds equivalent on the 'Klingon' or 'Dangle Berry'. I tend to find you get that sort of build up from goopy blends of tobacco and some very moist types of twist. In meerschaum world it just tends to burn itself off although a small amount of moister and a vigorous rub on a piece of cloth seems to be all that is needed.

No, coffee does not leave a stain. Briar is very hard to stain, especially with waterbased stains, which are almost never used by the better pipemakers.

Spit works about as well as coffee. Both are mildly acidic, but sometimes I just can't muster up enough spit to do the job.

Also, I keep a piece of 2x4 with a small sample of carpet stretched across it to rub my rims on to clear the rims of that last little bit of carbon, and to bring the luster back up. I discovered how well this worked when I rubbed a pipe rim on the carpet, but you have thought I had just murdered Mrs Cosmic's dog by her reaction to seeing me do that, ha ha. Now, I just use the 2x4 and scrap of carpet. I also have a piece of suede leather stretched on the other side to use on some smooth rims.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
No, coffee does not leave a stain. Briar is very hard to stain, especially with waterbased stains, which are almost never used by the better pipemakers.

Spit works about as well as coffee. Both are mildly acidic, but sometimes I just can't muster up enough spit to do the job.

Also, I keep a piece of 2x4 with a small sample of carpet stretched across it to rub my rims on to clear the rims of that last little bit of carbon, and to bring the luster back up. I discovered how well this worked when I rubbed a pipe rim on the carpet, but you have thought I had just murdered Mrs Cosmic's dog by her reaction to seeing me do that, ha ha. Now, I just use the 2x4 and scrap of carpet. I also have a piece of suede leather stretched on the other side to use on some smooth rims.
The carpet and suede leather are two ideas I'm going to have to try.
I have plenty of time on my hands at the moment and I was just thinking about cleaning all 60 of my pipes.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece

thanks ,especially for the carpet/suede tip

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Use a Magic Eraser with water and very light pressure. Since I began using the water flush approach, tar build up hasn't been an issue as I keep it from building up at all with the napkin after the flush. A side benefit.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and kcghost

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Spit. Spit is a great solvent. Spit and a rag, spit and a toothbrush, spit. Spit, spit, spit. Even art restorers use spit. Artists use spit. Spit is Gloria in Excelsis. Spit. The stuff of dreams.

Yep. Spit and paper towels for mild rim gunk, spit and q-tips (and a bit more pressure) for more stubborn rim gunk. Works like a charm.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Dude I never cared about rim tar. Always felt like it was just a sign a pipe had been used. Well I heard stories and rumors that a damp paper towel could get rid of it. So I tried that. And it worked on a pipe that was my only pipe for 20 years and more so it took a few minutes. That stuff comes off way easier then you think it will. Oh q-tips work too.

leonardbill1

Lifer
May 21, 2017
Denver, CO
Spit all the way. Just wet the tip of my finger and run it around the top of the bowl. I use a Handi Wipe to wipe the spit and tar off, then use another Handi Wipe treated with Briar Pipe Wipe (no longer available, but a light amount of Decatur wax or Savinelli polish might be worth a try, although having never used either product this is just speculation) to polish. If you use the spit method regularly before there is a thick buildup it works very well. I've even used it on old/thicker buildups and with some persistence this method removes the tar.