PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A number of us flush the chamber with water- for me, the hotter the better. 10-20 seconds out of the tap, paper towel dry the chamber, cleaner in the airway.

If your tobacco is on the dry side, you can smoke right away without fear of gurgle, but why not rest it for a bit if you have others to smoke.

There's seldom a need to use alcohol on a pipe, though many are used to it and do it by rote.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I don't do alcohol. I drink it, but don't use it to clean my pipes, almost never. Instead, I clean my pipe right after each smoke immediately. I completely take it apart and wipe out everything including stem, airway, and mortise. After leaving it for drying for few days, it's good to smoke again.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I clean my pipe right after each smoke immediately. I completely take it apart and wipe out everything including stem, airway, and mortise.
Excluding restorations of estate pipes, this is exactly what I do but resting a pipe is entirely unnecessary.

Reactions: dunnyboy
Sep 18, 2015
I am an alcoholic and I don't drink and can't use alcohol and was wondering if any one else is and how they clean there pipe
Same here, I corkscrew a paper towel into the chamber while its still warm then a pipe cleaner down the bit. If things are really funky a trip to the kitchen sink and a bristle works really well.
if it’s an estate I use 91% Isopropyl or the ‘pipe freshener’

WNCLEE28466

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2021
Wallace, NC (near the coast)
Hello. I'm a recovering alcoholic as well, and can't use the stuff. I use an alcohol-free mouth wash to clean my pipes. Cleans pretty well (just like your mouth) and freshens up my pipes as well... Good luck with your sobriety. Best, LeRoy