PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

choppa

Might Stick Around
Aug 11, 2012
Maui
Just received some carnauba wax I purchased on eBay. I really like it... Seems to be just the right consistency to work with (hand application) and it sure leaves a nice shine!! It probably wouldn't work as well as the hard bricks if your using a wheel... But for hand application, its the best I've tried so far. :clap: A 2oz jar was only $5 with free shipping http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clayton-Carnauba-Guitar-Wax-Polish-/200810546329?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2ec13dc499
Have any of you tried it? Whats your favorite to keep your precious briars shiny?

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks for sharing that. I prolly won't have a buffer for some time and was on the look out for something suitable. I did buy some Howard's Feed & Wax:
http://www.amazon.com/Howard-FW0016-Feed-N-Wax-Conditioner-16-Ounces/dp/B001BKQYGW
It's more of a furniture polish - I find if I put a good coat on and let it sit for a day, it soaks in and gives it a nice look, but still not a real glossy look.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I did buy some Howard's Feed & Wax
I'm glad to hear of your experience. I almost bought some but figured the beeswax would be tough to get a good shine from. And possibly leave that sticky beeswax residue I know so well LOL
Think I might give that Clayton a try soon though. Thanks guys for the info!

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Choppa:
I've wondered about the Clayton product for some time and I appreciate the good review.
Somebody suggested Halcyon II and I've been very pleased with the results.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290769797306
The seller had two types of wax available and he suggested Halcyon II for blasts. The few that I own have never looked better.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Never used the Clayton. Be interesting to see how it holds up on a pipe. I use the bar carnauba sometimes but actually prefer Halcyon II and Paragon.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I would like to see how this compares to walker briar works carnuba wax as it is a little bit more money.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Ok, I know I'm setting myself up to get hammered, but I use Kit Carnauba Car Wax. I contacted the company and they said it is safe. It holds up to extreme heat and is easy to use, I put several coats on my pipes for a flipping super shiny finish.

koshersmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2012
Now has any one used the little buffer wheels for a dremel tool. A big buffer is a lot of $$, then add all the polishing wheels $$... I just wondered if the dremel ones would work. A pipe isnt that big of a buff job, and they make a bunch of polishing kits for the dremel. I dont know as if i would use the polishing compound they come with cause it mite be too abrasive, but carnuba wax should work. Because the dremel tool is smaler It would be good to get in all the nooks and cranies. Seems like it should work all the same as a big buffing wheel to me.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I tried it and burned my pipe stem. It just has way too many rpms. I think 1600 is about what you want.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Photoman, I just read that others use car wax. I never knew about it till just now. It just made sense to me. Once I found out that its basically non toxic, I bought some. It also talks in the thread about using polishing compound on stems. I have brought the nastiest greenish black stems back to a piano shine with polishing compound. No fancy tools, just a lot of work. I don't even need a polishing wheel to buff. Just some willingness and some elbow grease. Here is a thread about waxes and car wax...
http://brothersofbriar.forumotion.com/t126-pipe-waxing

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I use oxyclean and then micromesh to get mine back to black. I started out using barkeeper's friend to scrub it off but that was way too much work.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Pipe novelist wrote a how to guide somewhere. It has some good info in it. Before I even came to this website I saw one of his youtube videos.

choppa

Might Stick Around
Aug 11, 2012
Maui
IMPORTANT UPDATE: Do not use this on vulcanite stems! I polished up about 12 pipes with this, including the stems. Every one of the vulcanite stems are now turning a greenish brown :evil: I am now in the process of Magic Eraser/Micro Mesh/Polishing all of them......The acrylic stems and briar all look great. Not sure if this is common for carnauba or not. :?:

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I'm sorry to hear that. Next time try the carnuba wax from walker briar works. I haven't had that problem thus far.

choppa

Might Stick Around
Aug 11, 2012
Maui
I'm sorry to hear that. Next time try the carnuba wax from walker briar works. I haven't had that problem thus far.

Looks like that might be worth a try. I have also been considering Halcyon II and Paragon. I have seen many positive reviews of it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.