PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Tove

Lurker
Oct 12, 2022
UK.
Good evening!

I think most of us are familiar with the Czech tools, Baccyflaps, Brebbia nail tampers, Corona Oldboys, and those formerly abundant plaid or tartan tobacco pouches, but are there any other iconic pipe smoking accessories that a cultured and discerning pipe smoker ought to know about?

Are there any accessories that every self-respecting smoker should own, or perhaps accessories that have a cult like following amongst those in the know but are otherwise overlooked?

Cheers
Tove.

Tove

Lurker
Oct 12, 2022
UK.
I'll start:

These Falcon thimble tampers are apparently prized by many a Falcon aficionado. I haven't been able to track one down yet so I found this image elsewhere. They make a lot of sense.

vintage-falcon-pipe-tamper-made_1_9b95ea9a03066043af02850ab911ef58.jpg

Also, slightly different, but the British .303 round was used during both World Wars and was apparently often put to use as a tamper. I've heard a lot of old-school British pipe smokers use them to this day.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
A Butner style reamer is always a good idea - there are more sophisticated ones but unless you’re restoring pipes it’s probably not a good investment.

Otherwise a dedicated pipe knife is a great investment - several different styles to choose from. I just used a pocket knife with a dull blade for many years but with a knife of any sort you need to be careful lest you slip and mar the rim or gouge the inside of the bowl. A dedicated pipe knife is a luxury and a pleasure to have but they can be pricey for sure and not something you need.

Reactions: Tove

Tove

Lurker
Oct 12, 2022
UK.
A Butner style reamer is always a good idea - there are more sophisticated ones but unless you’re restoring pipes it’s probably not a good investment.

Otherwise a dedicated pipe knife is a great investment - several different styles to choose from. I just used a pocket knife with a dull blade for many years but with a knife of any sort you need to be careful lest you slip and mar the rim or gouge the inside of the bowl. A dedicated pipe knife is a luxury and a pleasure to have but they can be pricey for sure and not something you need.
Absolutely the Butner reamer. I've been meaning to buy an original one although I don't tend to let the cake build up enough to warrant it.

In terms of pipe knives, I usually carry a Victorinox Executive or Director penknife around anyway, which included an usual "orange peeler" tool - it fits the bill well as a pipe knife.

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
I love the Claudio Albieri Pipe Cleaner Holders. They are wonderfully made and keep my pipe cleaners in place and at hand at all times. Plus they aren't that expensive at around $14 each. I have a few that I keep around the house, in my pipe bag and in my car.

1666389937796.png

Reactions: Tove

Tove

Lurker
Oct 12, 2022
UK.
I love the Claudio Albieri Pipe Cleaner Holders. They are wonderfully made and keep my pipe cleaners in place and at hand at all times. Plus they aren't that expensive at around $14 each. I have a few that I keep around the house, in my pipe bag and in my car.

View attachment 176463
Very nice! I really like the simplicity of the design.

MCJ

Can't Leave
May 22, 2022
NW Connecticut
Two of the best investments I've made in pipe accessories are my vintage (1950's era) Nimrod Commander pipe lighter and my Rodgers of Sheffield pipe tool which has knife, pick and small tamper (they make several versions of this tool; mine has the buffalo horn side scales). Bought both of these used on eBay and couldn't be happier with them.
PM8.JPG