PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
This wasn’t worthy of a thread of its own so I thought I’d start a thread where you can list something Cigar related that just irritates you… (apologies if you've had one of these threads before)

Went to the store last night to restock with a handful of Cuaba Divinos after smoking my last one on Sunday, only to find the humidor without any and to be told he’s not going to stock them anymore due to poor sales ?

(fortunately I managed to persuade him to check with his importer and they have 7 remaining that he’ll bring in for me next week if I take them all, so hopefully that pans out and I get a few ‘last ones’)

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Order from an online retailer. Or find a similar cigar to buy.

My irritation with cigars is all the taxation had made them quite expensive. I can remember buying a box of Padron Exclusivos for less than $150 20 years ago. Now, $350 to $400 for that same box.

Reactions: danimalia

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
Order from an online retailer. Or find a similar cigar to buy.

My irritation with cigars is all the taxation had made them quite expensive. I can remember buying a box of Padron Exclusivos for less than $150 20 years ago. Now, $350 to $400 for that same box.

Sound advice, if only it were that easy
I doubt any online purchase would successful reach me for that type of product (more likely, 'sorry it went missing en-route')

I had a look last night for a substitute but while not unique the Cuaba's do stand out a bit from the crowd, but I guess eventually I'll need to find something else

Agree, re price irritation. Fortunately I don't smoke enough of them to let it stop me (unlike when I think back to cigarettes)
It was the same for the wine I picked up at the same store, triple the price of the 'usual' stuff but apparently I 'had' to get that one for Christmas/New Year etc :rolleyes:

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'm not sure where your located, I overlooked that is apparently a Cuban Cigar. So I assume you are not located in the US. I purchase from a couple of different sites located in Europe that ship Cubans to the US. They've always arrived safely here so I'm not sure why you are expecting problems. Cuabas certainly aren't near the top of the heap among Cuban Puros but if they appeal to you, so be it. I just looked at one of the sites I buy from, they're out of stock but normally sell for $149 for a box of 25. So very reasonably priced ($6 per stick). I looked at the second site, they appear to be available for $130 per box ($5.25 per stick). I'd be happy to PM the URL for the site if you are interested.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
By the way, as an alternative, I'd recommend trying the Por Larranaga Picadores. A little more money but it should be somewhat similar to the Cuaba flavor profile. Mild to medium cigar, I think you may find the overall flavor, body and quality of the PL Picadores more to your liking even than the Cuaba. It is not, admittedly, a perfecto shape as is the Cuaba. If you're not totally committed to that shape, I'd also recommend the Juan Lopez No 1 or No 2 as well.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
The price the price the price. Also the time, I prefer the larger ring gauges (and lanceros) which take friggin forever to smoke. I don’t mind a corona or pc, I just prefer the larger sticks taste wise. These days I rarely have 2 hours.

And obviously the whole asinine and outdated cuba issue. I think if I had constant access I would smoke nothing but Trinidad Fundadores, RASS, and Bolivar Belicoso Finos (cigar-wise anyway). Except of course my beloved Padron 1964 Anniversary Maduros. If I had to pick one stick for the rest of my life I wouldn’t hesitate to shoot every other marca right in the brains.

Reactions: vates and odobenus

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
I'm not sure where your located, I overlooked that is apparently a Cuban Cigar. So I assume you are not located in the US. I purchase from a couple of different sites located in Europe that ship Cubans to the US. They've always arrived safely here so I'm not sure why you are expecting problems. Cuabas certainly aren't near the top of the heap among Cuban Puros but if they appeal to you, so be it. I just looked at one of the sites I buy from, they're out of stock but normally sell for $149 for a box of 25. So very reasonably priced ($6 per stick). I looked at the second site, they appear to be available for $130 per box ($5.25 per stick). I'd be happy to PM the URL for the site if you are interested.

Stuck in the middle of the Indian ocean but despite that i don't doubt an order would actually arrive here successfully... although its after that where it might hit a snag or two with numerous pairs of hands from postal services/customs 'inspections' to safely 'negotiate' intact and complete before I'd be told something was here for collection (subject to tax etc)
Without casting aspersions, if you order a handful of cigars (that might equal a weeks wage for someone) its not a big surprise to imagine something might happen to them

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Stuck in the middle of the Indian ocean but despite that i don't doubt an order would actually arrive here successfully... although its after that where it might hit a snag or two with numerous pairs of hands from postal services/customs 'inspections' to safely 'negotiate' intact and complete before I'd be told something was here for collection (subject to tax etc)
Without casting aspersions, if you order a handful of cigars (that might equal a weeks wage for someone) its not a big surprise to imagine something might happen to them

Sounds like very challenging circumstances indeed.

only to find the humidor without any and to be told he’s not going to stock them anymore due to poor sales ?
This reminds me...
We had a small hardware store here that carried an organic bug spray that I can't find anywhere else. It was the only thing that kept them off my roses, and got popular fast. He was always out, and we all "bugged" him to keep it in stock... to the point where when we would see the box arrive, we would rip it open and start buying the spray before he could even get it on the shelves. He had to do nothing, we would empty the box for him. Then one day he had put something else in it's place in the shelf. When we asked, he said that he wasn't going to carry it anymore because it just sold out too fast. He used the words "poor sales." puffy

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: Casual and TinCup

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
In order to avoid irritation, I'd advise buying Italian Toscanos or the Domestic made equivalent, You don't even need to have no humidors to store them for months to come, lots of good satisfying? smoke at a pretty fair price

Now I'm intrigued, thanks. The place I usually buy from in UK sells them so I can add onto next tobacco order (even though I won't get that for 5 months)

Would you say the calssico or antico to try first? (my preference is for mild-med & smooth)

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Now I'm intrigued, thanks. The place I usually buy from in UK sells them so I can add onto next tobacco order (even though I won't get that for 5 months)

Would you say the calssico or antico to try first? (my preference is for mild-med & smooth)
Dear Friend, in this case, I'd recommend starting with standard Classico offerings, the Antiquos are way bolder both in taste & nicotine

Reactions: TinCup

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
My cigar irritation is the massive ring gauges. Some of these 60 and larger behemoths. It's like Freud said, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. But other times, it's a big, brown dick." I kid, but these soda can sticks tend to have airy draws, and require a flamethrower to light and touch-up. And for all their showy size, adding girth leads to less of an increase in smoking time than added length, so the value (as i define it, anyway) isn't there either. They certainly don't lead to added flavor in my experience. Anyway, it's hopefully obvious that I'm being slightly tongue-in-cheek as obviously these are being made to satisfy a market and with non-Cubans at least, there are usually size options.

Still though, if your cigar can't say what you want it to say in a corona, I'm not real impressed with your ability to make cigars.

Reactions: odobenus
Status
Not open for further replies.