PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
So, I got myself a tin of these, for those times I need to drive somewhere and don't have time to prepare a pipe or don't wanna bother with one:

Hoyo_de_Monte_cigs.jpg

Do I have to keep these in the humidor or can I just leave them in the tin? I don't expect to smoke them all right away. 20 ciggies should last me a month or so.

Reactions: Pipelady20

mityahicks

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 18, 2018
For super cheap you can make a tupperdore to store them. Depending on your climate they might dry out. I keep those same smokes in mine.

Kozeman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2020
Woodstock, Illinois
Agreed. Keep them in a humidor like a cigar. Those are decent tasting. The size really keeps them from tasting like a full size Hoyo though. Those little buggers dry out fast if left out of a humidor.

Reactions: dcon

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Yeah, I remember these I got in Berlin:

RyJ_minis.jpg

They kept fine in the tin over the weeks till I finished them. I did, however, finish them before the winter time, which is when it can get really dry indoors.

I also kept some Avo Puritos in their tin, and some in the humidor, for several weeks. The former weren't ruined. They had them outside the humidor at the tobacco shop (of course, they were Cello-wrapped there).

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
OK is no one going to mention the 'general warning' sticker or is it an ongoing pun & i'm late to the party

either way its a nice touch ;)
Yeah. I had to put Adobe Illustrator to work because, unlike most labels that can be peeled off, this warning is printed directly on the box. Since I'm keeping the tin, I can't abide to have BS on it, can I?

Reactions: dcon and TinCup

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
Yeah. I had to put Adobe Illustrator to work because, unlike most labels that can be peeled off, this warning is printed directly on the box. Since I'm keeping the tin, I can't abide to have BS on it, can I?

ok your homework task (should you choose to accept it) is to use your PS skills with something like the clone stamp to remove the sticker and replace with the wood effect (cant leave it as a half-arsed job, do it properly man :LOL:

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
Are you all sure about the dry curing? They definitely did not used to be. Only the Dannemans, Viilagers, some Brazilian puritos and another Northern European brand (whose name currently escapes me) used to be dry cured and there is/was a discernible difference in the texture and taste of the cigars. These size cigars, in both Cuban and NC, used to be machine made but, definitely needed ongoing humidification. In fact, I currently have some Cohiba tinned cigars in a humidor and they are just fine.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
Are you all sure about the dry curing? They definitely did not used to be. Only the Dannemans, Viilagers, some Brazilian puritos and another Northern European brand (whose name currently escapes me) used to be dry cured and there is/was a discernible difference in the texture and taste of the cigars. These size cigars, in both Cuban and NC, used to be machine made but, definitely needed ongoing humidification. In fact, I currently have some Cohiba tinned cigars in a humidor and they are just fine.
Shimmelpinnick (sp) was the brand

@dcon
One tobacconist that I visit has them all in the humidor, and two others that I visit regularly have them on a shelf behind the register. And, one had a sign for the shelf that says Dry Cured Cigarillos.
Am I sure? No, I am by no means an expert on cigars, but the ones that I smoke do just fine being stored in the glove box of my truck. Plus, they are just in non sealed tins, sometimes behind the register at drug stores. I have yet to have one come unraveled on me like a dry cigar would.

Reactions: BROBS

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
@dcon
One tobacconist that I visit has them all in the humidor, and two others that I visit regularly have them on a shelf behind the register. And, one had a sign for the shelf that says Dry Cured Cigarillos.
Am I sure? No, I am by no means an expert on cigars, but the ones that I smoke do just fine being stored in the glove box of my truck. Plus, they are just in non sealed tins, sometimes behind the register at drug stores. I have yet to have one come unraveled on me like a dry cigar would.
I definitely respect your personal experIence. After searching this topic a bit, I have found varying opinions by amateurs on different forums and some less than definitive resellers. CA and other have made the distinction that, I made, between (mostly European {and some Kentucky ‘fire-cured’}) cigars that are labeled ‘dry cured’ and Cuban and
major brand cigarillos that are machine made. How dry someone wishes to smoke their cigarillos is completely subjective. However, if the cigar is not dry cured which, is a specific fermentation process, they will tend to dry out like any other tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.